Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cauda Equina Syndrome
Janamaus12303 posted:
I had my first microdiscectomy in 2011, which was a huge success. However, this past December I started having leg pains again which progressed pretty fast. Add to that saddle anesthesia. It wasn't until I went to the emergency room that they uncovered that I had to have surgery immediately.

My disc (L5/S1) had ruptured and the majority of the disc's content had spilled into my spinal canal and was cutting off the nerves supplying the "saddle region." This meant numbness in my crotch, buttocks, inner thighs, and back of my legs.

I had emergency surgery, which was again a great success.

Here's the problem. I know that the nerve recovery can take quite some time. But now I'm paranoid. I feel tingling sensations in my inner thighs or back of my thighs from time to time and I'm not sure if this is due to my nerves 'waking back up' or if there is a recurrence in the Cauda Equina Syndrome.

Did more of my disc get squeezed out and is blocking nerves again? I guess my only way to know for sure is by getting an MRI done, but I was just wondering if there are people out there who have experience with Cauda Equina and can help me out?

bj1208 responded:
Hi Janamaus12303 - welcome to the support group -

it's hard to say what is causing that but I can tell you that it does take time for nerve damage to repair itself - up to a year or more. You can always ask to be examined to see if everything is healing properly. Please contact your surgeon and/or your primary doctor. keep us posted what you find out.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center