Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back pain resulting from bowel movement
An_251807 posted:
Some may be squeamish about this subject, but if you have experienced this, you know it's no joke. From personal experience, I believe that people suffering from chronic lower back pain can exacerbate their condition, or trigger back spasm, simply by bearing down too hard and too long. It's happened to me twice in the past month. There is a Catch 22 here, in that I end up having to take a painkiller (generic for Vicodin) to manage the pain until the spasms subside, and these painkillers are known to cause constipation. So you can see the problem. I have learned to make sure I limit the use of painkillers and that I eat foods and take supplements to ensure my stools are reasonably easy to pass. Again, you may find this disgusting, until it happens to you. I'm just trying to share what I believe is some useful feedback. I was surprised, actually, to find any posts on this topic, and I would encourage others who have had a similar experience, just to build a consensus around this issue. It's not like having cancer, but it's no fun either.

bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group -

for those of us suffering from chronic pains, we have already endured this and there have been conversations in the past especially when new members who recently have been put on pain meds we do tell them to eat foods high in fiber and to take a stool softener to help.

there are members here who have been on pain meds for 10 years and unfortunately we learned the hard way~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

How I got rid of 2 1/2 years of sciatic pain
I had sciatic pain for over 2 years went to chiropractor twice a week for months, tried acupunture and ever nasd and pain pill out there. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center