Skip to content
Back problems, should I be worried?
peetss posted:
I have already seen a doctor, a physiotherapist many times, and I have an MRI scheduled.

Approximately 8 months ago, I sustained a sudden impact injury while practicing soccer. Twisting to the right while sitting with hips tilted forwards produces a pain in my lower left back near my SI joint. The same pain can also be felt by lifting my left knee past 90 degrees (psoas?). The pain is still with me today however it has never been extremely painful, more of a dull ache.

More recently I have noticed that my left back muscle is visibly inflamed and rises out further than my right back muscle. Also, the vertebrae of my thoracic spine produces very sharp pain when pressed on by my fingertips. This pain can also be reproduced by bending over at the waist and letting the back round. The spine pain is more recent, maybe a month, and it worries me, however my physio says I should not be alarmed.
Other information about me: I have very tight hip flexors (years of sitting at a computer) but I have been stretching them often. When I attempt to squat deep or deep lunge I feel pain in my hip flexors. I should add that none of my symptoms really prevent me from going about my day or even from doing Insanity (currently in my second month of interval training).

My physio knows all the same information that I have just described, all I am really looking for here is a second opinion and whether or not I should halt physical activity.

Back pain is mysterious to me, regardless of how much I research and it seems it is also mysterious to many others who experience very specific symptoms without any relief.

TL;DR: Looking for a second opinion on very specific back pain.
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

unfortunately we no longer have professional physicians on the support board and even if we did they would not be able to give you any type of opinion unless they could examine you.

It would be in your best interest to be sure to see the right kind of doctor - either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - they can examine you and are the only ones that can accurately read film reports relating to the spine.

normally when muscles tense they are protecting areas underneath that may have been damaged. this is reason seeing a spine specialist would benefit you more.

Please let us know what you find out~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Snake Venom for Pain
By Jon Bardin October 3, 2012, 12:52 p.m. Nobody wants to be bitten by a black mamba. One of the most dangerous snakes in the world, its ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center