Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Back pain for years
    Kristie602 posted:
    I was hoping someone could help me understand my pain. I was diagnosed with sciatica several years ago and thought that it just would come and go. However, I've been dealing with severe pain the whole time. I ice and heat almost every day, in addition to stretching and walking- all the things you're supposed to do with a pinched nerve. I'm 30 years old and am very active. I play a very physical, high contact sport and I know that aggravates it, but it's certainly not the cause. What else can I do? I don't want to take drugs, I would prefer a more natural solution. Anyone else find relief from other things? I've tried acupuncture before and it definitely helped, but only short term. It's probaby worse now than it's ever been and I'm at my wit's end. My doctor doesn't seem to have any other solutions, other than narcotics. I would like to try to have a baby soon, and I'm so worried that if I get the pregnant, the back pain will be unbearable. Any other ideas/suggestions? Maybe just knowing that I'm not the only one suffering from this will help.
    davedsel responded:

    I am sorry to read of your pain but fully understand. I have been managing moderate to severe back and neck pain for over 30 years. I have serious chronic problems with my spine from top to bottom and I am now disabled.

    You do not say what type of doctor you have seen, but you need to see an orthopedic spine surgeon or a spinal neurosurgeon. While surgery is always the final option, these specialists have the skills to accurately diagnosing exactly what is causing your pain and suggest different treatment plans. The specialist will most likely want you to have diagnostic testing such as an MRI or CT Scan.

    After you have seen the spine specialist, then you can see a good pain management specialist. The best type of pain management specialist is a physiatrist. This type of doctor does all type of methods to help with your pain and most physiatrists prefer little or no prescription pain medication.

    I am allergic to all conventional pain medication and can only take enteric coated aspirin and a muscle relaxer. I rely mostly on a good recliner and a very good mattress.

    I pray you can get the answers and relief soon. Please keep us updated.



    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center