Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
L2,3,4 fussion w/nerve damage
WillNew posted:
A fall from 15ft left me with a burst fracture. The nerve was damaged along the way. It will soon be a year along in the healing process. Im want to hear what has worked for others to strenghen and recruit muscles to stabilize walking. From what I read it sounds as though Im very fortunate to not have pain. Also what I read, pain, injuring to the disc above and below the fussion could result from just a wrong move. I was a very active person before and the accident has not changed that it has made it more frustating to enjoy. I live to be in the outdoors. Backpacking, camping, mountanbike riding, horse riding, canoeing. The list is long. You get the picture. I have paralysis in my right leg. Should I be agressive and work out 7 days a week to strenghten my leg ? This is what I have done for the last 11mnths. I started PT two days a week and I though it was to light so i requested more so my physician prescribed 4 days a week. I wanted more of a work out and the theripst are not there for that. I hired a personal trainer . So for 3 days a week therpy and 2 days personal trainer. This was from July to November. The therpist cut me off. It is not a maintanace facility. Which I understand . So from November to March I work with a personal trainer. We did muscle isolation exercises , strenght building. I also did cardio on elipticle and some on tread mill. For all the work there seems to be little gain. Should I try harder to stenghten my right leg. Im not doing any program or structured work out now but i would like to be doing something . What has worked for You? Ive thought about some Ty Kwon Do or Karate . I want to work toward being flexible and agile.

bj1208 responded:
Hi WILLNEW - welcome to the support group -

first - I would suggest that you read and research all you can on fusions. The hardware is put in place of damaged disc(s) and is there to stabilize the spine - period. there are no guarantees that the fusion will take (can take up to a year to fuse 100%, or longer) so yes any sudden movements, even sneezing or coughing too hard, can cause the fusion to not take. the disc(s) above and below the fusion site can become week and may bulge over the years (some have had it happen sooner) so it's vital that you take proper care.

second - nerve damage to legs is a touch-n-go scenario - whereas some people have experienced nerves that have repaired themselves but this can take up to a year or longer while others have experienced permanent nerve damage. along with the permanent nerve damage people may develop drop foot which is defined as dragging foot, foot cannot go up/down stairs properly etc. and those that have this are usually fitted with a leg brace to help.

third - physical therapist are trained and go thru schooling to learn the proper ways to help those recovering from accidents and surgery. yes they do take it slow and it's a must as too much too soon will cause pains and/or can cause the fusion to herniate.this is the reason the physical therapist cut you off as you are also going with a personal trainer. the physical therapist is only looking out for themselves and the company they are employed by as they do not want to be help liable if one of ur fusions were to herniate. A physical therapist is trained in all areas needed to assist those needing it. A personal trainer, from what I saw, has different areas where they can study either fitness training and wellness or massage therapy or medical assisting. it would be vital for you to know exactly what certifications your personal trainer has.

you stated you want to be flexible and agile - any form of Martial Arts will contain some forms that are too vigorous on the work outs, sparring etc. especially testing for next belts. (I was an assistant instructor and student) so I would take a step back and look at all you are doing.

Also, do not use an inversion table (more of an FYI) as with hardware in place we cannot be pulled or pushed as this will cause instability and/or herniation.

I have a single fusion L5-S1 with permanent nerve damage in both legs (leg brace on left leg) I am having surgery (fusion) as my L4-5 disc is herniated so will have plate, 4 screws and 2 rods put in.you can click on my name or pic and read my story.

hopefully this will help~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

WillNew replied to bj1208's response:
Wow thanks for the reply, thats the most information ive had handed to since the accident. Ive read your story I was hoping we you would speak up as I can hear it sounds like youve been down the road. I am under the impression that my fussion is underway if not there. I didnt know I could jar it around and stunt the growth. Ive been ridding horses doing all the things I probably shouldnt be doing. I will take it easy on the back. I feel I need to keep building back muscle. I feel if I dont the back will be more likely to sustain injury.I hope i havent messed things up in my back already. It will be a year June 5th. since my accident. I dont have any pain . Still some nunbness and I do have drop foot although it dont seem to keep me from stairs i have some high top hikers that work well. Are you able to exercise? If your in alot of pain probaly not. I will go back and read your story. Thanks Again , Wm.

bj1208 replied to WillNew's response:
Hi again -

I'm glad I gave u lots of info - yes I've been thru a lot with all types of treatments that did not work.

yes I am in too much pain to have any physical therapy and/or chiropractic treatments as it causes too much pain. so I have not been able to do any.

I have been having lots of pains and they have been watching my L4-5 disc as it moves and when it does it crunches as it moves and it hurts. So I have surgery set up for another fusion surgery - this time they will go in thru the back and put hardware in - plate, 4 screws and 2 rods. not too happy bout having another surgery especially going in thru the back as the recovery period will be longer than thru the stomach.

anyway let me know if u have more questions - take care~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center