Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lumbar microdiscectomy
JLWicky posted:
Hello, all!
I'm 6 days post-op from my L4/L5 micro discectomy and would love advice/tips/suggestions, or just to share war stories. Please comment here, or read my story on Tumblr and connect there. I look forward to this!
Thanks!!

Here's the link to my story:
http://wickyswag.tumblr.com/post/51694233273/lumbar-microdiscectomy

bj1208 responded:
Hi JLWICKY - welcome to the support group

Your story states you had the surgery Thursday, May 29th and that you are 6 days post op. Which is it?

Here is some info relating to your operation - do's and don'ts - but remember you must get all information from your surgeon.

http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/B_EXTRANET_HEALTH_INFORMATION-FlexMember-Show_Public_HFFY_1105110033945.html

You can click on my name or picture and read my story~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

floorgirl1 responded:
Glad you saw immediate results as have I. On 4-25-2013 I had multi level laminectomies with fusion (using my own bone no metal rods) I immediately lost the leg pain also and was thrilled and still am having what I am told normal discomfort and some pain in my back ,however it is nowhere near any pain I had prior and I am feeling very blessed. I have a great neurosurgeon and his Pa is terrific also! Dr told my husband also after surgery things were worse than mri and xrays however he fixed me up and did and excellent job! I am walking daily and doing mild yoga stretching you must consult with your dr about what is appropriate for you. I work in the medical community (OBGYN nurse) and am looking to go back to work June 10,2013. Congrats on your great results and will pray you continue to do well!

JLWicky replied to bj1208's response:
My surgery was on the 23rd. Thanks so much for catching that! I went back and fixed it on my Tumblr. Today marked my one week post-op, and also one week since I had left the house. It has been really rainy, so all of my walking has had to take place in the house I celebrated by riding along with my mom to Dairy Queen for a blizzard. It felt good to get out of the house, and the relatively short trip was not difficult on my back!
Thanks so much for the information. Most of that information matched up with what my surgeon told me. I have my post-op appointment next Wednesday and will get more specific information from the PA about how I should proceed.
So far, it's been quite the success except for some insomnia!!

JLWicky replied to floorgirl1's response:
I am very lucky that I was able to have my surgery while school is out so that I do not have to worry about the amount of work I would miss. Now that I see how much pain relief I'm experiencing I do wish I'd done the surgery earlier, but it really made sense to wait until summer break. I hope that you continue to see a reduction in your pain. I have my follow-up appointment with the PA next Wednesday, and I will ask him what types of stretching/exercising I should be doing to strengthen my back. I have really avoided doing much of anything other than walking until I go back in. Did you have any issues with insomnia? I was sleeping a lot on/off the first few days after surgery, so I am assuming my sleep schedule is just out of whack. I didn't nap today hoping for a good night's sleep, but here I am wide awake at 3am! Ooops

bj1208 replied to JLWicky's response:
Hi JLWICKY -

am glad that everything is going well for your recovery - just remember to take it easy and slow!! I bet that blizzard from DQ tasted sooooo gooood - I love blizzards too~~

Keep us posted and let us know what the PA says~~

~~ Joy ~~

JLWicky replied to bj1208's response:
Yesterday I was super restless and decided to accept an invitation to go out for dinner. Turns out, that was not the best idea. Between the time I spent showering/getting ready, and the actual going out part of the evening, I was hurting when I got home. I am so used to always being on the go, even when I was in pain I did a lot more than I should have, and I am having a hard time sitting still. But, last night taught me just how much my body still has left to do in terms of healing. So, I will continue with the resting and light walking!

floorgirl1 replied to JLWicky's response:
I did the same with sleeping a lot for about 1 week post op! I occasionally have insomnia,I attribute some of it to a bit of boredom and overactive brain! I am excited about returning to work and also scared! Praying for all of us here to have as little pain as possible and be able to live our lives! Keep in touch. MAE

JLWicky replied to floorgirl1's response:
When will you be returning to work, MAE? I am lucky that work was not something I had to worry about, being a teacher with the whole summer off. I been sleeping better, for the most part, but still wake up several times during the night. I have never been a great sleeper though, so I shouldn't be surprised!
I saw my PA this past Wednesday, so I was 13 days post-op and he seemed very pleased with the results so far. He indicated that the strength seemed better in my one leg/foot, which was a good sign of relief. He told me to be careful with lifting, bending, and twisting. Nothing over ten pounds for at least another month, no strenuous activities. He said riding a recumbent stationary bike or doing some light swimming would be OK. I mentioned Yoga and he said to stay away from that for now too.
He did remind me that I am still at risk for re-herniation, and that I need to keep that in mind as I begin feeling better. I am minimizing the time I spend in one position, and going on random little short trips to keep myself entertained every now and again (a trip to the gas station for a fountain pop, etc). I have a pedicure this week, a hair appointment Friday, and a wedding of a dear friend on Saturday, so I will be doing a lot of resting leading up to it. I know I won't be able to boogie on the dance floor, but I would at least like to make it through most of the reception. Wish me luck!!
And wishes and prayers for every one of you!!

bj1208 replied to priyankaroyidol's response:
Hi PRYANKAROYIDOL -

When you made your account with WEBMD you agreed to the guidelines set forth. those guidelines stipulate to not list personal information on physicians, hospitals and/or personal information.

Unfortunately your post will be marked and will be removed.

~~ Joy ~~

JLWicky responded:
Just a quick update for everyone:
I saw my neurosurgeon yesterday for my 6 week check-up (I will actually be 7 weeks post-op tomorrow, but the holiday messed with the date a bit) and he cleared me! Very exciting, but I still do not feel comfortable just doing anything. It feels weird to technically have the lifting restriction removed and to be allowed to go about my business. I have not had any pain return in the buttock area/lower leg from the sciatic issue, which is amazing!! I do have quite a bit of stiffness/soreness in the morning that often wakes me well before I would like to climb out of bed. I take tramadol to deal with that issue, but will likely switch to 800mg ibuprofen soon. Any suggestions for going forward? I wanted to try and do some light stretching as the area feels tight, but some research I have done seems to indicate that can just exacerbate the issue!!

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center