Skip to content
Right TKR
dibbits0530 posted:
body{font-family:Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;margin:0;padding:.5em;} p{margin:0;border:0}body{font-family:Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;margin:0;padding:.5em;} p{margin:0;border:0}Good morning. Been a coon dog's age since I've been here. Looking forward to a total knee replacement on July 8th. Yeah but this is a back pain board. Well spondylolisthesis, foraminal stenosis, DDD and right sided radicular syndrome along with some very narrow feet with intrinsically different proifiles created this need (along with my own abuse while influenced by pain meds). This will be my second TKR. I'm actually looking forward to it. My first TKR resulted in the relief of much of my pain levels, and I still receive epidurals semi annually. Two years ago (a little more a year beyond my left TKR), I became ill with breakdown, and could only walk in spurts of 20-25 yds.

dibbits0530 responded:
MAY TRIGGER!! apparently my browser does not like winded posts. My point is that stretching and flex/release exercisce works optimally along with walking if it in your realm of possibilities. Be good to yourself and love who you are even if you don't believe you can. It is your faith in yourself that defines you. May God richly bless you.........david

bj1208 replied to dibbits0530's response:
Hey David (Dibbits0530) - welcome back to the board~~

well, it has been a "Coon Dog's age" since we've heard from ya!!

Just wanted to wish you well on your upcoming TKR and that you have a speedy recovery.

Besides the info you listed regarding your back, how is your back doing? Hope all is well with that too!!

I will be having my 2nd fusion surgery (Sept 10th) on L4-5 - my first was on L5-S1 with hardware plate, 4 screws and cage. this time they will be putting a plate, 4 screws and 2 rods in - ugh~~

My surgeon wants to operate in June but since this time they will be going in thru the back I told him I wanted to enjoy my summer with my pool and that I would prefer a fall surgery and recovery thru that time period as it does take longer to recovery with going in thru the back. oh well just gotta take one day at a time -

well, keep us posted how u are doing - take care and welcome back~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

dibbits0530 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Joy

I finally splurged on a laptop. Now all I need to do i re-acquaint myself with a keyboard. My back, typically,it is doing great. The nature of my defects means that any surgery would not improve things only cause more struggle and pain. So I have epidurals on average once or twice a year. I'm just not sure if the epidurals are the best long term solution. My pain levels have gone from shouts from the rooftops to a mere trifle. Every so often something will send me through the roof again but it is short lived. Two years ago, I could barely walk 15-20 yards. Now a mile or two at a fast pace is very easy. Well except for now with my knee.

I have a rescue terrier/poodle combo that was kind of placed on my shoulders. His walking was as bad as mine because he was recovering from a cracked pelvis and mange. Now he takes me for a mile or more 3-5 times a day. He is a sweetheart. TKR is in about a month so I am prepping for it.
david

Hey Dibbits - WOW!!! that is really great -

keep us posted how u are doing

~~ Joy ~~

dibbits0530 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi

Just typed a post and lost it before it was sent. Boo-Hoo so I will do the cliff notes. as it was quite windy. 3 day hospital stay account pain meds prevented me from spurring a fast decision. My last night was without a nerve block. Imagine a femoral nerve block plus 2 percocet every 3 hours. Was it necessary (the percocet)? Probably not. So Tuesday night (Monday was surgery), they took out the block as it was not working any more. I opted off the percocet. Said to God that all the focus on pain nonsense had to go, put some Sacred music in my earbuds, was place on the machine designed to move your leg to promote circulation, iced up the knee and inner thigh kicked on the old CPAP machine and slept through the rest of the night...no pain. Yes. See the key the pain management is to know where your pain comfort zone rests. Doesn't matter what level it is, when the spikes come they are only relative to a reflexive movement, then back to the comfort zone. 2007 pain management was pain control. 8000 mg of darvocet, 2600-2800 mg of neurontin, depakote, carbamazepine, prozac, wellbutrin. Whhooo Wheee baby Jean! Family expected me to function normally through all of this. Uh Huh! Well ashes to ashes we all fell down. Sad. No house everything in the house sacked I working on selling it.

Anyway...Today is day 7. 2 percocets to sleep with diclofenac for inflamation and pain. That comfort pain level for the knee? 0 Yeah tell my muscles and nerves that. Knee 0. spikes are usually 2-4 but jump to 7 if I tighten up and stop breathing. I walk 6-12 feet inside my apartment unassisted. Cane unless my legs need geritol. Outside. 1000 feet continuous movement walking no stops. Tomorrow - begin 3 weeks in home therapy, then 4-6 weeks OP PT. Smokin! I should be fine. I am living on my own and for the most part am taking complete care of myself right now after surgery. Medicos prefer you to be in a Rehab center.

That's the cliff notes. Embrace God, Embrace Christ if He is yours, then Embrace your Sweetie. Live life through love for it is the only one you have until paradise then the fun begins if you behave your self in the interim.

Ciao for now!

Much Love everyone

david

Hey David -

WOW it does sound as though you are doing very well in the first week of post op care etc. I'm glad you are doing well.

I hope and pray the rest of your recovery is speedy and pain free - keep us posted how you are doing~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center