Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    An_252302 posted:
    Hi My name is Craig and I have been in pain for 2 years. I have been in 2 car accidents about 1 year apart. I have seen a physical therapist for 4 months on my first car accident and 8 months of chiropractic care. I have had 3 injections that really did not work. I was diagnosed with protrusion and bulging discs in my neck and my back had bulging, and protrusion in my l3,l4,l5,l6, s1. My pain level was at about a 3 when I got into the second accident. When i had the second car accident I have a herniated disc in c5-6 which I have had surgery on. In my back I have a herniated disc on l5, s1, and protrusions on c3c4. Treatment that I have been through so far is 3 months chiropractic and physical therapy for 3 1/2 months. When seeing the chiropractor I received treatment on the DRX 9000 (stretching the spine), and regular adjustment. I have also have done the massages. Through the physical therapy I have been doing pool exercises. I just started droning land exercises, I have had and EMG test done. Nothing seems to help. They have suggested a discography. All of the doctors have told me to have surgery except a neurosurgeon that I do not trust, I plan on seeking a second opinion on a different neurosurgeon. Does anyone have any advise on what I should.

    Sincerely, Craig
    davedsel responded:
    Hello, Craig and welcome.

    I am sorry you are experiencing so much pain from your accidents. Just a quick background, which you can also read by clicking on my username or avatar picture, I have been managing moderate to severe chronic back pain for about 35 years. I have never had surgery nor been in an auto accident. My pain is from degenerative and genetic problems with my spine.

    I am an avid proponent of chiropracty as it works for me and my family. Only "straight" chirporacty, though, not the gadgets such as the DRX 9000 you had had done. I get a regular chiropractic adjustment about one per month and my neurosurgeon told me that will keep me out of a wheel chair for a few more years. Many people are totally against chiropractors and may voice their opinions on that.

    You are being very wise with getting opinions from multiple spinal surgeons. Make sure you are seeing doctors that specialize in the spine, not just a general orthopedist or neurologist.

    Have you seen a pain management specialist? That would be another good doctor to see. The best pm doctors are physiatrists as they offer all forms of procedures and treatments along with prescription medications.

    I pray you can get answers and relief soon. Please keep us updated.


    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center