Skip to content
Back Pain For Years and No Diagnosis
An_252460 posted:
About seven years ago I was in a car accident and began having horrible back pain. The pain would start in my lower back and soon spread to my upper back as the pain got worse. I was unable to stay in one position for long and often times it even hurt to breath after awhile. My doctors said that it was just stress on my back from the car accident and they took and MRI but found nothing. For the next four years after my accident I played a sport in college and I still had the horrible pain that seemed to be getting worse. I could not sleep for more than two or three hours at a time because my back would hurt too bad to lay down, and like when I first injured my back I had to change from sitting/standing/laying positions ever few hours so my pain would stop. I took anti inflammatory and pain medication daily along with over the counter medicine but nothing seemed to help. Soon I just stopped taking the medicine. I went to my college trainer daily along with physical therapist three times a week but the pain never got any better, working it out actually seemed to make it worse. My senior year I had a knee injury that took me out of sports all together so I have been very inactive compared to what I was previously doing. over the next few years my activity level was a lot lower than it had been in the years before but I was still doing some physical activity. My back pain slowly started decreasing and eventually only acted up every once in awhile. Recently I was cleared to resume playing sports and I have take full advantage of it but as I resumed I noticed my back pain came back and is just as bad as it had been all those years ago. I have been active my whole life and want to continue doing the things that I love but I can not figure out what my horrible back pain is and the doctors I go to cant find anything and sometimes I get the feeling they think im just making up the pain that I am having.
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

you didn't say what type of doctors you have seen and also what type of doctor that read the MRI film (not written report but the film).

it's vital that you see the right kind of doctor for this - either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist as they are the only ones that can accurately read MRI film reports.

Also seeing a good pain management specialist will help too - I see a PHYSIATRIST PAIN SPECIALIST as they go deeper into pain management control than regular pain clinics (see link)

let us know more about what doc's you have seen.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 49 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center