Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Handicap parking
trs1960 posted:
If I'm not carrying anything I can walk fine so I try to stay out of the handicap parking spots lest someone in real need shows up. I have this reoccurring vision of my car being in one while some little old lady in a wheel chair drives around with no place to park!

So last weekend I went to my daughters basketball tournament. Loaded with a camera bag and on 50% pain meds I look around and it's packed. So I use my handicap placard and park right up front. Im sitting in the lobby and this lady with cerebral palsy comes in. Her son (who never left her side and appeared to be a tall 15 year old ) rolls her in!

My stomach drops. I went to her and asked if she found a place to park? She said yes there's handicap spots up front. I said yeah, that's my red car next to you. I wanted to make sure I didn't take the last spot from you.

She was so sweet. We talked about suffering and stupid things like parking lots.

When I was about 17 and thought myself as mighty as any oak tree my brother's best friend had a bad case of cerebral palsy. My brother and I left his friend in the car since he could hardly walk. We ran into a little store. A few minutes go buy and we hear noises and cries for help. I run outside to find two Marine recruits mugging my friend who on his best day only wants to live.

I lost it. I grabbed the nearest bottle, broke it open and went for the kill. I think they thought I was crazy because they ran away. We mended Tim (his name too) up and filed a police report. I later identified them from mug shots. I hope they're still serving time. I'm sure they never made it to private first class.

That's the only fight I remember being in my whole life. I'm not a violent person, but I'm also not a pacifist.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"- Edmund Burke

davedsel responded:
Great story, Tim.

I must admit I no longer hesitate or think twice about parking in a handicapped parking space. Both my wife and I have the permits, and she always parks (she does most of the driving) our van in a handicapped spot. No question we are disabled as we both limp out of the van to our destination.

Hope you and everyone is having a blessed and fantastic Friday.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center