Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    L5-s1 herniation 4 years ago
    mariairogers posted:
    4years ago I herniated a disc playing golf. I was 21 years old. I was hospitalized 3 days. I had pain in hips and thighs legs to. My husband had to help me walk and shower. The doc gave me Ibupofen' steroid pills in a 7 day pack, flexeril, vicodin, and a nerve pill called neurontin. I was fine in 2 weeks and back to normal. I should have went to work on strengthening my core and stretching and doing more preventative measures. In April I had a miscarriage. Ever since then my disc reherniated and since then knave been I. Tons of pain. Only find relief when I lay flat. Can't work can't drive can't sit up for long periods of time. It stinks. I'm praying for my back constantly. I can't live like this. I want my life back. Were going to attempt physical therapy soon and will avoid surgery at all costs. Consistency is key. My friend also has this same issue. She did PT and chiro every other
    davedsel responded:
    Hello and welcome.

    Have you seen an orthopedic spin surgeon or a spinal neurosurgeon for diagnosis and a recommended treatment plan? Have you seen a pain management specialist? The best are physiatrists as they offer a variety of techniques other than prescription medication.

    It is always best to get an accurate diagnosis from one of the types of spine specialist I mention before doing any type of treatment plan. Physical therapy and chiropractic care may be helpful, but they can also do more harm without knowing exactly what is causing your pain.

    If you have not had an MRI or spinal CT scan for four years, then it is time for a new one. Seeing a spinal specialists and a pain management specialist can help you a great deal to get the relief you need.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.



    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center