Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Intrathecal therapy update. (Pain pump)a.
trs1960 posted:
I saw my doc this morning and two things in my favor. I lost 6 lbs which is always good so I'm back below 200 to 194. I have reduced my oral meds enough to proceed with the trial so they're scheduling it.

The other greatness is he can do the entire thing outpatient. No hospital!!!

I've reduced my meds by 75% so now I'm at 25% kind of. I cut 50% easy. I went two weeks and the tried ton it the 50% I. Half again. I had a miserable night as the withdrawals made me want to pull my arms out of their sockets. I finally got up and took a morphine and a Norco to calm things down. At least I went to the doc with good info today. He said that it was too aggressive and not necessary. The problem was I M down to either one or two 30 mg morphines a day. They're extended release so you can't cut them in half. He gave me a script for 15 mg morphine ER and said to take a 30 in the morning and a 15 at night. When I felt comfortable switch to a 15 in the morning and a 15 at night.

Fro there I guess I'll go to a single 15 per day and then it should be easy to go to zero. I'm still taking 30 mg of Norco, but that's down from 80-100 per day.

I mentioned possibly returning to work if the pain pimp is successful? He gave me a bit of a lecture, and warned me this is the last thing they can do to improve my life. He told me I may never go back to work! I said, I know, but if I could it would be better . He smiled and said within reason. It's good to have doctors that really care about your health and quality of life.

davedsel responded:
Thanks for the great update, Tim. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel's response:
The 15 mg worked great last night Just enough to keep the withdrawals away, but a 25% reduction. Ill do this for a week and the reduce again.

They say narcotics are not very addictive when used to treat chronic pain, but dependence will occur... Hmmm. Laying in bed at night wishing you could tear your arms off dependence...addiction.

Is this dark grey or light black???

All things considered. Years on methadone, morphine, Norco. Etc. this has been a fairly easy tritation...so far

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
216 of 332 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center