Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ACDF C3-C5
An_252536 posted:
I was in a serious fall and I too have to have C3-C5 ACDF and my doctor said that I would have to wear a hard collar for 6 months or so. Is that about the normal length of time that I should have to wear it and what is the normal recovery time before I can be active again? I know that my doctor mentioned it but do to the severity of my fall I have also been diagnosed with early onset dementia so my memory isn't the best. Anyways I am more concerned about how much time it takes to recover good or bad so I know when I can start enjoying the things I was able to do before my accident. I'm 31 and not nervous about surgery because I have had about 10-13 in the last 41/2 years and 15-20 in my life but really nervous about recovery. If anyone has had to go through this same procedure and have some advice that would be much appreciated! Thanks again!

Debsbears responded:
Hi and welcome we are not doctors. However I had C3-T1 ACDF done at one time, then they went in and worked on T2.

I wore my hard brace 2 months before surgery to see if I was a candidate, I was. I wore my brace for about 7 months afterwards because I had to wear it while using my bone growth stimulator, which aids in fusing the bones together.

The length of time you wear your brace does depend on your doctors orders. Everybody's healing time is different. Having the brace on for that length of time does help in its healing.

When is your surgery scheduled for? I will pray for you.

packersarethebest replied to Debsbears's response:
Thanks for the advice! I had to have my thumb fused after my fall as well because I lost function in it and while I know a thumb is completely different than my neck but I think it healed pretty quick. My surgery is July 8th, I've been in such sever chronic pain since my fall, and I have tried everything to avoid surgery but if that's what it takes to make me feel even a little better makes me excited! I know it's prob not going to be a cure all but anything to better my quality of life would be great. I don't want to be on pain meds the rest of my life though. Thanks again for your support and reply, I hope you are feeling better!?! Go Pack Go!

Helpful Tips

marybear53
I have had relief from facet injections in my lower back. My pain management doctor told me that surgery is not, and will not be an option. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center