Skip to content
options?
faithnGod47250 posted:
thanks for your earlier response, Dave. Well, after seeing the neurosurgeon, he recommended a ACDF on C7. He didn't think steroid shots or cervical traction would do me much good. Should I get a second opinion, providing my insurance will pay for it?Has anyone tried these other options? Surgery really isn't an option at this time because my employment won't pay anything the first 30 days, all I can do is take earned leave for those days (and I don't have any where near 30 days). I can live with the arm pain and numbness, my concern is for permanent nerve damage the longer I wait and not getting that feeling back.This is a wonderful forum and thank you all for your insight. All replies appreciated and God bless!

trs1960 responded:
How long until you have insurance?

I would ask your nuero about risks of waiting and if possible wait it out until you have insurance with pain meds. Just be careful your work doesn't know about the pain meds(it's legally none of their business unless in a high risk job like carrying a gun or driving a truck). Many of us have worked for years like that. If its not possible to wait, you may have to go the ER route and take on tons of debt and lose your job for missing too much time

God bless you

Tim

davedsel responded:
It is always the wisest move to get several opinions before having surgery. You could also see a spinal orthopedic surgeon, but from what I understand the spinal neurosurgeon would be the best for the neck.

I agree with Tim. Be extremely careful what you tell your employer or what you share at work and with whom.

Do you work for a small company? Do they have a Human Resource department? You can check on policies that cover this situation. Most companies have short term disability policies that are partially funded by the state. You probably should do some more research before shutting the door on surgery. If you need the surgery, then I believe God will make a way for you to have it.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center