Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    What do you do when your doctor won't listen?
    missmaye posted:
    I have been seeing a certain doctor for many many years now, I have constant middle and lower back pain. That radiates throughout my entire body. I have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis and bulging disc, degenerative disc disease and bone spurs on my spine. Also Lumbago has been thrown at me. My mother says I have complained about aches and pains ever since she can rememeber, I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 5 but it was caught and corrected. I have trouble with my joints, knees popping out of place when all I do is simply try to turn around. My shoulders and neck hurt when i turn just right, so I try not to turn to quickly anymore. I am only 42 years old but I feel more like 90 years old. Basically I feel like I have had the crap beat out of me all the time, I'm always fatigued, never get quality sleep time, due to waking up from hurting all over.
    Anyways, I try to relate this to my doctor and am told on one occasion I am to young to have this many aches and pains, on another I am told to sit up straight, i have been called a drug addict for asking for no narcotic meds to see if they would help out better. I tell him the dose he has me on isn't helping but he refuses to up me. I asked him to refer me to a rheumatologist ,they refuse to see me (reason unknown)

    I have been to specialists after specialists with all the usual test, MRI, X-Ray, Nerve Conductor Test, Orthopedic specialists, and Neuro Specialist, Rhuematologist refuse to take my case.
    I have since done my own research online and came across a thing called EHLERS-DANLOS SYNDROME also called EDS, this was why I was refused to be seen by said rheumatologist.
    Anyways, what can i do to make him listen to me? I have gave him printouts of information on this possible cause for all my troubles and his response was, "Well since only 1 in 10,000 have this, odds are you don't have this but we'll refer you and have it checked." then I get refused by his refferel....... He calls me back and tells me I need to do more research ON MY OWN and find a doctor that he can refer me to.
    I'm at a loss on what to do from here on out. HELP?????
    darlyn05 responded:
    I don't know much about the EDS, although you mentioned pains and aches all over with fatigue, have you thought about or researched Fibromyalgia?
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    you indicated you have seen specialists - what types?

    when dealing with sine issues it's always best to see either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. You indicated a lot going on with your spine and all that you mention will cause lots of pains and along with pains will come fatigue among other things.

    Also seeing the right kind of pain management doctor is helpful too. I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist as they go deeper into pain management control than regular pain clinics. they can also help refer you to the right kind of spine specialist.

    A Rheumatologist will treat certain severe types of arthritis and other types of problems but they cannot treat back problems.

    Also spine specialists are the only ones that can fully read film reports related to spine issues. Most other doctors go by the written report which may or may not be 100% accurate.

    Let us know a little more about what types of doctors you have seen. Hope some of this helps
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    try yoga for sure the positions and stretches help alot. u will feel relief but do not stop just continue doing it More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center