Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Years after L5-S1 Disc Fusion Surgery
    kimberlyhall01 posted:
    I had Disc Fusion surgery on L5-S1 Disc March 6th, 2006. A piece of my left hip bone was extracted to use in the disc fusion. I am now 51 years old and I am still suffering with lower back pain. My Orthopedic Surgeon said in 2007 that this pain is a new onset and it seems to be around the L4 Disc area. He continued how he arrived at that conclusion is because I did so well right after the 3/6/2006 surgery. I did do well because a lot of the pain subsided but it did not all go away. I pushed myself to do well. I followed his instructions and wore the turtle shell back brace for 3 months after surgery. I also did Physical Therapy.
    I guess what I really need to know is, if you do not see damage in an X-Ray of my back around the L5-S1 disc, does it mean that my pain now could not be related to the same area?
    Please provide me with any literture available for after a L5-S1 surgery. I was injured at work and Workers Comp ruled in my favor for life. My companies, then, insurance provider does not want to open my case again. My job is at risk for 2.5 hours because I, was having and still am, an extreme amount of lower back pain. Pain shoots down my left buttocks and around to my left thigh.
    I just need someone elses opinion in this matter.
    I appreciate your help.
    davedsel responded:

    I am sorry you are experiencing all this pain.

    X-rays do not show all that is wrong with a spine. You need an MRI to really see all that is happening.

    You need another opinion from a spinal neurosurgeon and/or a spinal orthopedic surgeon. They would order the MRI, review the results with you and recommend a treatment plan.

    Do you have a WC attorney for your case? My wife had a work-related back injury in March 2011 and her attorney has been very helpful They charge either nothing or a nominal fee (they are charging my wife $10.00 per week deducted from her WC checks) until there is a settlement reached if that is best for all parties. The WC attorney will petition the WC board in your state to ensure the company's insurance company is paying for all your diagnostics and treatments and make sure you are financially compensated for the injury.

    You can do research on the following websites:

    WebMD Back Pain Center:

    Spine Universe:


    I pray you can get answers, treatment and relief soon.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    613Julie responded:
    I had an L4-5 fusion in Dec 2010 for drop foot and have had chronic pain since. I have lost count on the number of injections I have had. Next month I will get my nerves burnt and soon I hope to get a pain pump just so I can get some relief. I feel your pain and frustration. I know the pain you have that shoots down your leg. After all that I have gone through and all the different doctors that I have had I would never do another surgery on the same area especially if they can't see any injury. I have changed doctors, pain management doctors 3 times. I finally found one that actually listens to me and wants to do something for my pain. I would never go to a pain clinic that doesn't do drug testing or you will be dealing with over worked nurses that are trying to police patients because so many people want the drugs the give out. You really need to see a good pain management doctor.

    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center