Skip to content
mid-back only left side
An_252685 posted:
Ive been having back issues for about 3 weeks now. Ive been on muscle relaxers and pain killers. Ive asked the Dr. to give me an x-ray but they refuse and say its a muscle spasm. Its hurts mostly when i sit down and when I get up. It takes me awhile to be able to stand straight up. I have lots of pain. I can walk around just fine. It feels like its getting worse and it spreading. I went on vocation and was walking by a pool. My feet wanted to come out from under me so I twisted and recovered from falling but i think i might have caused something to happen. I just want an idea of whats going on and when I should worry about it being more serious. How long should i wait for it to get better. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry you are going through all this pain. To be honest, I would give your doctor an ultimatum to either treat you properly for this or you will find another primary doctor. You may ultimately need to see a spinal orthopedic surgeon or spinal neurosurgeon and have an MRI performed, but it is usually best to include your primary doctor in all medical issues.

Something similar happened to be in 1997. I fell on ice landing right on my back. My doctor then refused to refer me to an orthopedist or send me for an xray. He gave me pain meds, a muscle relaxer and told me to lay in bed for 3 days. The pain continued and finally I switched doctors. The new doctor had me have an MRI and found a herniated disc and compression fracture in vertebrae T12. He referred me to an orthopedist and I got relief. I also got a huge blood clot (DVT) in my left leg because the other doctor had told me to lay in bed for 3 days. Part of that broke off and traveled to my lung and almost killed me. I've had multiple health problems since and this first doctor contributed to that IMHO.

Bottom line: please consider changing primary doctors so you can get the treatment and relief you need.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center