Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Back Pain
    An_252756 posted:
    I've been having back pain for many months now. It's my lower right side. I've had 2 x-rays and nothing has shown up on either one of them. I've done physical therapy twice but nothing has helped. The pain increased over time, and there was no sudden injury that caused it. I am a gymnast and the pain worsens during practice, especially on vault and floor. I've had 2 steroid shots. The first helped for about 2 months then it wore off. The second one didn't help at all. I've taken breaks, and the pain seemed to go away, but as soon as I resumed my normal practices, the pain came right back. The doctors and physical therapists keep telling me that it's a muscle thing, but nothing has helped. Ice, heat, electric stimulator things, have not helped, nor did physical therapy. My parents and coach believe that I might have a pars stress fracture, but im not able to receive a bone scan until about 2-3 more weeks to know for sure.

    any feedback on what you might think it will be would be greatly appreciated...Thank you!
    davedsel responded:

    Read through the Tip near the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists the steps for getting back pain diagnosed and treated. Here is a link to that tip:

    X-rays do not show soft tissue damage such as disc problems. You will need to have an MRI or CT Scan of the area performed for that. You may need to see a spinal orthopedic surgeon or spinal neurosurgeon for an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment plan.

    I pray you can get treatment and relief soon.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    gymnastics15 replied to davedsel's response:
    Well I did receive an MRI a couple of months ago. The doctor said that it showed that some of my lower disks were being compressed but the doctor said it wasn't that rare for a gymnast. He also said it wouldn't be causing my pain. And so they still said it was a muscle problem.
    gymnastics15 replied to gymnastics15's response:
    And thank you for your response and prayers

    Helpful Tips

    Try water therapy
    I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center