Skip to content
Spinal leak
Bentleybob posted:
Hi an new to the site , I have just had a rf ablation l45 and l12 with an si joint injection. 4 days post massive headaches.told by dr I have spinal fluid leaking and to lie down for 48 hr and it might repair, has this worked for any one. Thanks

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

I don't have any direct personal experience with spinal fluid leaking. My wife has had this procedure with no complications.

I did some searching on the internet and found a good article. Here is a link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002063/

According to that article, bed rest for several days is a treatment. IMHO (and I am not a doctor or any type of medical professional) if you start having symptoms as described in the article or it does not stop you should contact the doctor that performed the procedure asap.

I pray the leaking stops soon and you get relief from the procedure.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

An_250887 responded:
Hello,
The massive headache is an unfortunate occurrence with a spinal leak. Please, follow your physicians instructions, but if you have an increase in head pain of any other symptoms you should notify your physician.
An Anesthesiologist, CRNA or your physician can do a small proceedure to "patch" the spinal leak.
Hope the 48 hour rest will do the trick. This type of headache is notoriously painful, so I hope you get some relief and feel better soon.
Good luck to you.

memommie6 responded:
Hello BentleyBob, Yes this happen to me after my second back surgery. Had a headache so bad couldn't sit up, lift my head, or open my eyes. My doctor did what I was told as a "blood spot". They took blood from my arm and injected into the spinal area of incision in my back to form a clot over the leak.. Had to lay flat for 2 days and was told to drink lots of Mountain Dew Soda. According to doctor, M D has as much caffeine as 3 cups of coffee and it helped to speed up the healing process. It worked and was up walking again after the 2nd day. Hope your up and feeling better by now. Memommie6

Helpful Tips

Strech
streching every hour helps More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center