Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Very tight back and diffuclty breathing
jdavis44 posted:
My symptoms have been all over the place lately and I'm not sure what to make of them. So I'll just list everything off. I appreciate any input.

I've become increasingly aware that my back is very, very tight. Breathing has also been difficult. My breath is very shallow and now and then I'll feel a need to yawn to get a good breath. Jaw tension and tightness has been present too, I'm guessing as a result of trying to gasp air in. I've been doing some yoga that will help my back some, but breathing naturally still doesn't come easy.

There has also been a tight, pulling pain in my lower right side. It flares up the most when I work out (which I've been avoiding lately). I can rub my right rib cage in a certain spot and will feel the tightness in my lower abdomen region.

Is any of this related? I thought it would heal on its own but it seems to come back frequently.

davedsel responded:
Hello.

Please read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists the steps for getting back pain diagnosed and treated.

We are lay people who have more experience with back pain than we would like. No doctor replies to these posts. It is both impossible and against the rules in all WebMD communities to provide any type of diagnosis or medical advice.

You will need to see a doctor for evaluation and treatment.

I pray you can get treatment and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

MaryBee responded:
I can relate to the tightness and shallow breathing. I am new here. I have arthritis in my spine , fibromyalgia , neuropathy, both in my arms and legs. When I try to sleep on my back or lay on my back should I say for a few hours 1-2. I wake and can't take a full breath due to excessive pain all around my chest and back. My entire rib cage. I have to breath shallow for hours till my medicine kicks in. I am on lyrica for the neuropathy and fentanyl patch to help with pain you will be in my prayers. GOD Bless

davedsel replied to MaryBee's response:
Welcome, MaryBee!

All the same for me. I fully understand these symptoms as I have managed them for over 35 years.

Hope to see more posts from you.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center