Skip to content
intermittent back pain
hofner posted:
For about year and half i have been having intermittent sharp pain in left lower back when sitting it lasts for seconds,Nsaids works . I have done abdominal ct scan,kidney ultra sound,urine analysis and blood work. all came negative except having few graves on left kidney and positive calcium oxilate in urine. Then i had lumbar x ray which showed narrowed disc space at l4 l5 and doctor told me this can't cause such type of pain. I want to know what can cause this type of pain

Male,20 years old
davedsel responded:

Please read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists the recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain.

We are support group comprised of lay-people who have more experience with back pain than we would ever want. No doctors reply to the posts here. It is both impossible and against the rules in all WebMD communities to provide any type of diagnosis or medical advice.

From my own experience I can tell you that the narrowed disc spaces could be causing pain. Each person is unique and minor problems could cause one person a great deal of pain, where major problems could be almost without symptoms. An x-ray or even a ct scan does not tell the whole story - you really need an MRI to see any soft tissue damage such as a herniated or bulging disc. A spinal specialist such as a spinal orthopedic surgeon or spinal neurosurgeon would be the best type of doctor to see for an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment plan. If you need a referral from your primary and he/she will not help you further, then you may need to consider changing primary doctors.

I pray you find answers, treatment and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.



Helpful Tips

Snake Venom for Pain
By Jon Bardin October 3, 2012, 12:52 p.m. Nobody wants to be bitten by a black mamba. One of the most dangerous snakes in the world, its ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center