Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back surgeries/living with pain
memommie6 posted:
Hello, I am new to this site. It's 2am and can't sleep due to pain. I have had 4 back surgeries since 1997 with my 4th being in 4/2012. I am still in great pain everyday. They have all been on my L3, L4, L5, and S1 with ruptures. Leaving me with nerve damage. My doctor described my nerve as a straw being pinched on the sides leaving very little space in the middle. I have been to 2 different pain management centers. The first proceeded to place an internal stimulator that had to be removed weeks later by emergency surgery to remove the battery due to staff infection making e very ill. The second pain center had me on so many drugs, I was a walking zombie. I have pain in my lower back, left hip, thigh, and weakness in my left leg that has resulted in many falls. It's strange when one goes to take a step and the leg is not there. I get by now on hydrocodone, lyrica, and a few antidepressants. I have come to know my life as a living hell, but one must endure. I would have never thought when younger that at 55 I would be living this way and with so much pain. But life must go on even with very little enjoyment. Thanks for listening and reading.

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I fully understand.

Keep doing your research. Keep moving as much as possible. Keep a positive attitude.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 responded:
I'm 53 and struggle with finding strength to go on. I find it mainly from my kids, but they're growing up and won't need me much longer It's hard to survive serious back pain. No one that has not lived it can not understand the suffering back pain causes.

An_250887 responded:
Hi memommie6,
We are about the same age and have back issues at the same level. I have lived with chronic pain since I was 32 years old, so I have a long history with trying to find the right care. If you are in too much pain to do any research in your area, try to find a family member or friend who would be willing to do this task.
There were times I went through very difficult periods with pain and I wondered if this was what I had to live with for the rest of my life. It can take a long time to find the right physician, medications or other treatments. I tried the whole laundry list. I simply want to encourage you to keep trying to find the correct care for you.
For instance, I noticed you are on Lyrica, which has never worked for me, but Neurontin did the trick. Since we are all different, with different diagnosis, amounts of nerve damage and scar tissue, you need to find what works for you.
I wish you the best. Hope you get some sleep!

tuloud54 responded:
At age 36 I thought life could not get much better. In 1990 a pallet hit my neck froms a second level rack and also hit my right upper back. Had 2 surgeries to put neck back together but since that time,my neck always felt like I slept on it wrong. If you have ever woken up with a stiff neck,that was mine.Usually it goes away but mine never did. My life was changed forever. After awhile I just accepted that I have a new reality.I should have died! Why didn't I? For 20 years I never took an aspirin due to it not making any difference. The thing that saved me was moving.Even when it hurt,I had to move. Keep moving and find something new that you can not wait to do! City Slickers(just one thing) Due to my spinal cord being pushed half way in,I was blessed it didn't go another millimeter.Again,Why didn't it? In 2007 my hand got painfully cold and a year later it went up to my shoulder.I could no longer work and retired at 54. In 2012 I finally received a pain pump after 4 years of nightmarish drug trials and errors. Somehow ,with the help of this very board,I found the right doctor,with the right heart at the right time! Giving up is reall pretty easy. Going forward is the hard part.My pain is livable not certainly not gone. What I hope for you is find the doctor who can give you just a little comfort where life can resume again for you. Pain kills and most of this board has been right where you are.Please don't quit! You never no what tomorrow will bring.You will not always suffer the extremes you have right now.Please keep putting one in front of the other.Take a copy of your post to your doctor.If he doesn't help,take to the next one.I had almost given up but would not have the joy or hopefullness of what today may bring.Your life is still there but new challenges need prayers. Please let people help.Your feelings are real and a good dr can make all the difference.God speed. Tom

trs1960 replied to tuloud54's response:
Tu, good point. You do have to have faith that the good days will come and suffering in between is the burden we bear to get to those good times. Some times it is hard to keep plodding through, but our only choice is to keep trying and working with medical professionals.

God bless all

T

Helpful Tips

how long does methadone stay in your system
need to know how long methadone stay in your system More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center