Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Multilevel Laminectomy W/O Fusion
Anon_176914 posted:
Hello,

Brief history: low back issues for 5 years, since 2011 have had hip/pelvis issues when laying down in any position for any length of time. Had L4-L5 discectomy in 2011. they were not able to do anything with L5-S1 as planned. The discectomy relieved the lieing down pain for about 2 months. It recurred and has only worsened.

Somewhere along the way my Thoracic spine started bothering me and stenosis, DDD, and several herniations were found there as well, with myelopathy.

2 surgeons have recommended T2-T11 lami & fusion - 1 recommended T3-T9 lami w/o fusion.

Has anyone had a multilevel laminectomy without a fusion? How did it go?

All surgeons also noted that it's likely L4-S1 will need a revision surgery with fusion, as L4-L5 is completely collapsed and that did provide transient relief with the hip/pelvis sleep depriving pain. They recommend the Thoracic first as there's apparently a principle of "start at the top of the spine" when there a re issues in more than one area of the spine.

Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center