Skip to content
Right arm and shoulder pain
Dakotawoody posted:
For the last 3 months I have been in severe pain on my right side. It started in early may, I woke up and my right arm was so sore that I couldn't do anything - I couldn't carry anything, even showering and washing my hair is torture. The pain I'm experiencing seems to radiate from the middle of my right shoulder blade down to my elbow for the most part. Sometimes the pain goes to my hand but for the most part it stays at the elbow. The best way I can describe it is it feels exactly like my elbow needs to pop however it never does and I don't get any relief. The pain becomes excruciating by the end of the night and for the last week I am unable to put any pressure on it without severe pain. The treatment I have been using has been ice in the evenings, I use a thermacare pad during the day, icy hot, and Advil every 4 hours and naproxen twice a day. Unfortunately I don't have medical insurance so I am trying to avoid a drs visit. Does anyone have a idea what could have caused this? I haven't lifted anything. I was thinking it could be the mattress but I've had it flipped and changed pillows. Sorry for the long post.

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, it is against the rules in all WebMD communities to provide any type of diagnosis or medical advice. We are a group of lay-people with more experience with back pain then we ever would want. No doctor replies to these posts.

You can search for a free or low-cost clinic in your area. Are you eligible for Medicaid? You can look into that. Also, see if there is a teaching hospital in your area. You can be evaluated and treated for a lower cost in this type of facility.

What you are doing seems to be all you can do to treat the symptoms for now. If your symptoms continue, you will need to seek medical attention. Be careful not to take too much over the counter medication like tylenol, naproxen and ibuprofen (Advil). Those can cause liver and/or kidney damage if you take high doses.

I pray that you can get the treatment and relief that you need soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center