Skip to content
back pain and muscle spasms
howe1971 posted:
Hello people, I wonder if anyone can help for about a year now I have been dealing with pain in mid back radiating around to to front of ribs. I have seen 3 different chiropractors 1 acupuncturist and my family doctor. I had an mri and exray done and showed slight herniated disc and slight disc degeneration and mild arthritis. The pain for a while was umbarrable but lately the pain isnt as bad but when sleeping at night when ever I turn my back and stomach muscles lock up something fierce. If my legs are bent and I try to straighten them my thighs tighten up really tight. When I am up for a while working my body loosens up and I dont feel so bad but as soon as I settle down from work I start to tighten up and pain will return. My family doctor only wants to prescribe muscle relaxers. I am kind of giving up on my doctor. Any help would be appreciative.
davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry you are in so much pain and fully empathize.

Please read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists recommended steps for getting back pain diagnosed and treated. You will need to see a spinal orthopedic surgeon or a spinal neurologist for evaluation and a recommended treatment plan. Surgery should always be your absolute last resort, but these doctors are the best to see for finding out what is causing your symptoms.

Until you have an accurate diagnose, no treatments should be done including chiropractic. Make sure you and your doctor(s) know exactly what is causing your pain before getting treatment. After you get a diagnosis, you can see a pain management specialist that is a physiatrist to see what options are available to you for pain management.

I pray you can find answers and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


howe1971 replied to davedsel's response:
Thanks for the reply Dave. Do you think if I went to a surgeon they will automatically say surgery. Also has anyone ever tried one of them inversion table for there back problems and if so do they help?
davedsel replied to howe1971's response:
Most good spinal surgeons will not recommend surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. You would have to have symptoms where you could almost not walk with your legs going numb, or not be able to urinate or move your bowels. Ultimately, the choice is yours and if you do see a specialist that recommends surgery you would need to weigh your options and do thorough research. Also, getting several opinions is the best approach.

I've seen various reports by people using inversion tables. Some get relief, and I know there was a case where someone died after using the table. You would need to find independent studies and talk to your doctor about this type of treatment.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.



Helpful Tips

Snake Venom for Pain
By Jon Bardin October 3, 2012, 12:52 p.m. Nobody wants to be bitten by a black mamba. One of the most dangerous snakes in the world, its ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center