Skip to content
back injury
shellie_54 posted:
My injury has changed my life completely. Any pointers on how to start with changing my life after 58 years? Having a problem with that and want to hear from real people who have been through this. Not just doctors or people who don't understand.
trs1960 responded:
I suggest pain managment Psychology. If your injury is that old it'd likely you've worked with many doctors MD. A PhD may be better suited for your needs. You can't make the pain go away, but you can learn to live with it and control instead of it controlling g you.

Best of luck. There's a few books out there I recommend let me know if you're interested?

fionam523 responded:
I have a bad back injury from my time on the Crew (rowing) team in high school, and I've tried a lot of different things over the past 8 years or so. My pain levels still fluctuate, but I've found a few things recently that help me a lot.

First, I switched to a standing desk at work and got a kitchen gel mat to stand on. I've found that standing and moving around more is much better for my back than sitting for hours at a time.

Secondly, I've started to focus on my posture a lot more. I got a LUMOback device and have been using it to help remind me to have good posture. I was slouching more than I realized, and having good posture has made a real difference in my pain.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
shellie_54 replied to trs1960's response:
Please let me know the books. I know you are right about a PHD but I always fix myself on my own. I don't know, maybe I should look into that.
shellie_54 replied to fionam523's response:
I can't stand even on a mat for more than 5 minutes. I have done everything I could think of to make things easy on me. I am getting treated for the pain. I know it will never go away. I finally accepted that. I just still have a problem with staying positive about losing who I was. This has changed my life completely.
You guys are helping me because you know what I am going through.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center