Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MRI Results Someone Pleses help me figure out what it means.
plance2905 posted:
Hello I had a MRI done on my back and right leg for increase amount of pain. My doctor mail me the results and a letter to a Pain Management Center . I do not know what is going on. Please Help

Findings: There is no bone marrow signal abnormality. Chronic type mild endplate degenerative changes are seen at L4-L5. The conus medullaris termainates at the L1 level and has normal signal characteristics. The abdominal aorta is normal in caliber.There is no evident retroperitoneal mass.

Impression: L4-L5 and L5-S1 predominant disc degenerative disease.
At L4-L5 large central and right paracentral disc protrusion resulting in moderate central canal stenosis and severe right lateral recess narrowing. The disc hernaiation contacts and displaces the right forming L5 nerve root in the lateral recess. This could be resulting in impingement. There is only mild left lateral recess narrowing, and no foraminal stenosis or L4 nerve root impingement. L5-S1 broad base disc protrusion in the central, left paracentral and foraminal region. This results in only mild inferior left foraminal narrowing and mild to moderate left lateral recess narrowing. No evident nerve root impingement.

Someone Please tell me what this all Means.

Thank You
Penny

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

Here is a link to The MRI Page at ChiroGeek.com: http://www.chirogeek.com/003_CT-Axial_Tutorial.htm
This page should be able to help you with the conditions found on your report.

Also, please read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists recommended steps for getting back pain diagnosed and treated. Within that thread are links to websites that have good information about spine problems and their treatments.

I pray you can find answers, treatment and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel's response:
To add to Dave's advice. MRIs are only a diagnostic tool that helps doctors compare skeletol and soft tissue with the norm. To try and look at a paragraph of medical terms and diagnose your medical condition is like using a rubber to shoot a rock at the moon.

On paper it looks like you have some lumbar disc degeneration and some spinal canal narrowing.

This may or may not be directly related to chronic pain. It's good information, but its one piece of a complex puzzle.

You are at the starting line. It's great to reach out and seek knowledge. That is step one. A good pain clinic or Dr. Can help provide more pieces of your puzzle.

Best of luck

T

aprilrose9 responded:
Hello Penny,
It is nice to have MRI results for your records, but they can lead to confusion, so I hope you have a follow up appointment with your physician in the very near future.
Your physician is looking for problems in your spine at the lumbar region and the spine is labled with the number of bones in each region. Thus, L4 is lumbar region and the 4th level. Ignore all info which states things like "normal", "no mass" ect. Next, concentrate on words like "mild" and "moderate" and how they relate to the areas of discussion. Now, look up words like "protrussion", "stenosis", and how they are used in medicine. Once you start reading medical info and asking questions it will become easier to understand your written results. For instance, midline means drawing a line down the middle of your body from head to toe, (i.e., so if a trachea has a midline shift, it is displaced from normal ), and lateral is off to the side. The anatomical information should be discussed at your appointment and request seeing the anatomical models and charts which will be in your physicians office. This will help greatly with understanding the anatomical changes which can happen in the spine and can lead to pain in the leg/legs.
Hope this helps in some way, until you get to speak with your physician in detail about your results. Sometimes, getting the info before you speak with your physician can cause undo anxiety about the results.
Good luck and I hope you get some pain relief.

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center