Skip to content
Busy week
trs1960 posted:
Monday was a caudal epidural and today I met with a pain psychologist for per auth of the pump. Turns out the psychologist is a well know author and leader in the pain community. His name is Michael J Lewandowski. We shared our favorite books and found we had much in common. I as the patient, he as the doctor.

He was quite complementary to me which after learning more about him after downloading his book made me blush. He's spent 30 years working in the pain management industry and has seen over 7,000 patients.

He green lighted my treatment without question and we had a wonderful talk that lasted 90 minutes

T

davedsel responded:
Hey, Tim.

Have you felt any pain relief from the injections yet?

Excellent meeting with the pain psych.

Continuing to pray for you on your journey.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel's response:
Epidural really helped the pain in my legs and feet. I was feeling better and my thoracic hasn't been bothering me. I did something today though that feels like I have a knife stuck about T5 left of center. It will pass though and I'm relaxing right now.

The meeting with Michael Lewandoeski was amazing. I read half of his book last night and realize why he kept laughing and praising me. We have studied much of the same material and even as a lay person I must of hit 9/10 of his quotes in his book.

I would love to spend more time with him.

I found a good link for Melzack which includes Wall. Two heroes we share in our seperate quests to understand pain.

This is a great video and gives insight to my two favorite sciencetists that devoted their lives for people like us. They creating the foundation blocks that allow our pain managment doctors to treat us today

http://youtu.be/KRFanGInvlc

trs1960 replied to davedsel's response:
I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but he actually stopped in our interview and said, "I've spent 30 years and interviewed over 7,000 pain patients and you are one of the most intelligent people I've met."

I was a bit uncomfortable yet grateful. After learning about him I'm in awe that he would say that. I'm not that smart, we just studied the same material and share the same beliefs.

I didn't want to even say this as it sounds so arrogant its a bit repulsive in my normal way of thinking. Like Aprilrose said were not here to one up each other we're hear to be honest helpers to those in need. So I say this only to share how similar our studies have been, me as a sufferer and he as a Ph.D and leader in the industry.

I had a conversation on a car board I belong to in which we have our share of back injuries. A friend described a discogram he is scheduled to get and I told him to get a second opinion as it has been determined that they cause more harm than good. The annulus is so coarse that it does not heal like most tissue after a syringe is removed. They've found the discograms often cause disc ruptures and my doctors group no longer does them. I got people telling me ah just leave him alone he's just getting an EMG... Both people are friends so I used many references to explain myself. As April said to you, it's not that I want to be right, I want be assured good information is provided.

Bless you and thank you for the thoughts and prayers

T

aprilrose9 replied to trs1960's response:
Hey Tim,
Thanks for the understanding of where I am trying to come from with some of my comments to people on this site. Knowledge is power and the best decisions about medical treatment will come from having comprehensive information about treatment, proceedures and surgery. People often make medical choices based on simple promises of, "it is a easy proceedure", or "I have done thousands of them" and people want to believe the negative outcomes only happen to other patients.
I have tried to explain my serious pain issue after a third surgery, which caused far greater harm than good. My S.I. joint pain has lead to being uable to sit or stand since I was 35 years old. It has had far greater implications than just not being able to wear sexy shoes. When I tell other back pain patients the extent of my limitations, they think I am trying to say my pain is worse than their back pain. I am trying to explain it has been far worse FOR ME.
We put a great deal of thought into the purchase of a car or a home, yet some medical decisions are based on a small amount of information. As Tim is correctly pointing out to everyone, our bodies respond to soft tissue issues from proceedures and surgery, where they do not by miracle, always heal without changes.
The old childhood verse, "the shin bone is connected to the...", should remind us, alter one thing anatomically and it is connected to some other body part. We do not get fixed like a broken car! You don't just rip a boken part out and put a new one in the same place. Our bodies are complicated and we need to follow the advice Tim has given by reading, asking questions, listening to other back pain suffers stories and getting clear information from our physicians/medical personel.
Dave is great about providing links to important information. If the information is confusing, there seems to be someone here who has a good explaination and can clarify a subject within a short period of time.
Keep up the good work Tim, Dave and BJ!

trs1960 replied to aprilrose9's response:
Thanks April. It seems that Dave, BJ, Joy and I pretty much sing the same song. We may lean slightly this way our that, but never can I recall an antagonistic or disrespectful disagreement that makes it a pleasure to come in here even if I often miss a chance to answer a question before one of the others has nailed it.

When you came along I was smitten with your medical background and the academic knowledge you bring with your painful plight. If I may though, what better example than a medical professional that ended up on the wrong side of caregiving. Similar to Dr Brownstien and his decade of back problems after a simple back surgery from another one of his back surgeon colleagues.

We expect us lay people to be victims of the lower class of doctors out there trying to make a buck, but again, it's not that simple

God bless you all

Tim

aprilrose9 replied to trs1960's response:
Dear Tim,
My problem was I was of NO help to myself. As R.N.s we want to be "good little patients" and not complain. You have heard this song from me too many times about being desperate to get back to work and believing in the quick fix.
My area was cardiothoracic ICU and my knowledge and connections were limited to Intensivists and Cardiologists. If your heart was a cloggy mess or stopped... we were your team. So, I was at a loss to find the right direction, just like everyone who suddenly ends up with an injury. Yes, you have some knowledge of other areas, but after taking 2 days of state boards, you find the area you like and most of the other stuff falls out of your head.
Thank goodness for this site and all the work the monitors (and others) do to send people in the right direction.
The part which scares me the most, hearing people say "I want my life back" and making a fast choice to have a big surgery. . I just wish people would do their homework and listen to the people on this site who have been through the proceedures and surgery. Once something is broken, it cannot always go back to exactly where it was before the injury.
I wish people would think of their bodies, remembering important systems are deep and protected by bone for a reason...they are vital.
Thanks for the tip about Dr. Brownstein, I have to look him up.

trs1960 replied to aprilrose9's response:
Art Brownstien MD. The book is The Art of Healing BacknPain Naturally. It was good, but he lives in a different world than we do so his cures may not be practical or us. I.E. he moved to India for a year or two to learn yoga...I'm struggling to keep gas in my car!

I do like Lewandoski's book The Chronic Back Care Workbook.

It's great to see you posting and thank for all the kind words for not just me, but others here that deserve great praise.

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center