Skip to content
anyone get relief of pain from accupuncture?
tlh509 posted:
As stated in another post, I have tried the chiropractor, 7 x with no luck. I have read and heard some good coming from accupuncture. Anyone have any luck with this?

trs1960 responded:
Not from back pain. I spent a good hour talking to a guy who is a licensed Physiatrist M.D. And doctor of oriental medicine D.O.M.

He explained to me that for me acupuncture was a waste of time as I "am broken." He explained how acupuncture can help with digestive issues, smoking cessation and other things the require "centering of mind and body."

If you read into acupuncture it is accepted that there is not much difference between western trigger point injections and eastern acupuncture. Trigger points add some medications such as tramadol, but were found to be as effective with saline.

Food for thought.

T

mainebestlife responded:
Like any skilled profession, it depends on the skill and ability of the acupuncturist. Read up on the theory behind acupuncture and energy medicine- its worked for centuries for the Chinese and Asians. Its all about chi-energy blocks you hold in your body. Just because it didn't work for one person doesn't mean it won't work for you. I think when you have long-term pain you need to try it all because you never know what might be that magic pill. best of luck to you ~

trs1960 replied to mainebestlife's response:
I talked to the DOM ( doctor of oriental medicine) for a long time about that. This guy is amazing as he also hold an MD license as a physiatrist. At that time I had 9 fused and 3" of crushed spine. I can't repeat what he said, but in the case of a screwed up spine like mine he said that acupuncture won't help. He spent about an hour explaining why it works great for some things and not on others.

There's a lot of theory running around that states our western medicine trigger point injections actually work on the same principle. The medicines we add may give some placebo benefit

T

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center