Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
And now for something completely different
trs1960 posted:
Today was my eldest daughters first day at university. UNR (university of Nevada, Reno)

Graduating from high school with a 4.0 GPA and already completing some college courses by achieving A's in advanced placement calculus, psychology, physics etc. she started off in mining engineering already in calc 2 (which she said was a bit boring) geology and sat in on chemistry.

Mining engineering is a bit of mechanical engineering, civil engineering, geology and electrical engineering.

I'm not sure if that's her calling, but as long as she keeps studying high math, engineering and science she can change majors to almost any of the engineering principles she wants as a future career.

There's a long way to go, but she took the first step now on her own. She loved the classes and enjoyed the professors. While I'll always be there for her, the rest is really up to her.

Twelve years of working with twelve fused vertebrae and this was one of the reasons I dug deep and found power to Continue to work. Her little sister is 25 months younger and if national healthcare will take care of my girls I can stay on disability and my youngest will collect $1,600/ month until 18.

As a junior she is a varsity player on the soccer and basketball team. She also carries a 4.0 GPA and will certainly pick up academic scholarship assistance. Along with the SSDI money she should set as long as she stays in state. Maybe she can even get some athletic money?

My oldest daughter doesn't quite have enough money to get through school. I'm told if I'm disabled they only look at my SSDI as income and there may be grant money available to help finish school.

This is all I've lived for for over a decade. I never dreamed they would grow up in honor society with 4.0s and driven.

I'm so proud. I hope my wife can start to see the beauty in what she has done raising these girls. She has such a hard time letting go. Mommy for life:) but she nets to let them fly out of the nest so they'll want to fly back.

I still remember changing diapers being dah dah

God bless the children

Tim
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel responded:
What a bittersweet day for you, Tim. Sounds like your daughter will be very successful in her chosen career.

Yes, she will get grants due to your lower income. You will need to fill out the FAFSA form when you submit your income taxes for this year.

Thanks for sharing.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel's response:
My long term disability starts next month and at that time I apply for SSDI. As you know it is highly unlikely I'll see any SSDI money this year so my income will be based on 8 months of pay. After that it will be only on SSDI money when I get it. My long term disability is not taxable and not considered income. My wife makes a little, but only two days a week she's not out buying yachts!

She has some scholarship money and I was able to start a 529B account before I got hurt so if she could get 25-50% of her education paid for she would be set and not have to borrow to complete her education

I hope, I hope, I pray

Tim

davedsel replied to trs1960's response:
I hop and pray for you, too.

In New York State it is now a policy that the turn-around for SSD applications is no longer than 3 months. There is an automated process that initially scans all applications to determine eligibility. It may be just my cockeyed optomist nature talking, but I am hoping my wife and you both get approval before the end of this year.

In your case, won't your SSD be deducted from your LTD payments? Mine were until I accepted a lump sum settlement from the LTD carrier. In my wife's case, her WC payments will be deducted from her SSD payments. It will help us maintain our lifestyle, hopefully. Already worked with credit card companies, refinanced auto loans and we are in the process of getting a mortgage modification. All tools to use to keep us afloat financially.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 responded:
Tim - you and your wife should be very proud of your daughters - sounds like they are doing very well ~~

keep ur chin up~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

My SSDI will be "carved" but my daughter's won't. So it really doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it is reasonable My daughter's is retroactive from six months of my last day worked so if it takes a second try it won't effect the amounts.

Dependent SSDI cannot be carved out so my income sees a net sum zero effect, but she'll get a nice nest egg for college. If I can get SSDI to put it in to a pre tax 529b it should be a significant amount and maybe enough to span what scholarships don't cover?

Joy, were very proud

Tim

Just remembered something - you may know this, but my attorney never told me. You must apply separately for SSD for any eligible children. I made an appointment and went to the SSA office to do that for our youngest son after I was approved.

Blessings,

-Dave

Thx

shellie_54 replied to davedsel's response:
I trust you so I keep coming back to you. I have to have another cattle epidural. The first one helped. They put me out and now this time they said my insurance won't pay for it. How bad does it hurt?

davedsel replied to shellie_54's response:
Hi, Shellie.

I am not familiar with the term "cattle epidural", but I am presuming it is simply a shot for pain into the affected area. My wife has had several epidurals and even a procedure to burn her nerves, and she was able to tolerate the pain. They usually include a topical pain med in the injects to help with the pain from the shots.

Please keep coming back. I am so glad you did. Keep us updated on all your progress.

I am continuing to pray for answers and relief for you.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 replied to davedsel's response:
I too am not familiar with "Cattle Epidural" - If you can find a site for us to read/research we would appreciate it - thanks~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Caudal epidural. It's just an epidural in which they have to come up through the sacrum. A little more painful, but not too bad. Much less painful than RF ablation

Good luck

T

Got it. I did find sites that talked about "cattle epidural", but it was epidural injections given to cows. "Caudle epidural" makes much more sense.

Thanks, Tim.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
It's called that likely because they come from the base of the Cuada Equina which is the very base of the spine.

Cauda Equina is Latin for horses tail and this section of the spine looks like a horses tail as the spinal chord turns into individual nerves at about T12

T

trs1960 replied to shellie_54's response:
Shellie, will they pay for IV sedation? You don't need to be out, but I highly recommend sedation!

Tim

Helpful Tips

Mikey626
I would check with your local health department to see if they have any free clinics to start with. They will also be able to assist you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center