Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
cattle epidural
shellie_54 posted:
has anyone had an epidural for their back with out being put under?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

bj1208 responded:
Hi Shellie -

yes I've had lots of epidurals in my lower and mid back without being put under.

They sterilize the area where the shot will be then inject a numbing agent and then they inject the epidural into or around the area that is injured/inflamed

Reason I've been told they don't put you under is they need to see if they are hitting a nerve root in the leg(s) whereas they back out the needle a little. I've had them hit a nerve root that sent shooting pain/jolts into my leg and I screamed out in pain.

Have they told you they were going to put you under? what areas are the shots going in? Let us know~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

shellie_54 replied to bj1208's response:
it is in my lower back and yes I have decided to be put out. I don't want to feel any pain!

davedsel replied to shellie_54's response:
Hi, Shellie.

Are you sure the term is not "caudal epidural"? When I looked up "cattle epidural" all I found was information on spinal injections for cows.

Here is a link to good information about a caudal epidural: http://www.spineuniverse.com/treatments/pain-management/caudal-epidural-injection-information

I pray this helps you. Please continue to keep us updated.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

shellie_54 replied to davedsel's response:
you are right. LOL My brother in law just handed me 200.00 because my insurance won't pay to put me out. I just want to know if it is painful enough to be put out. Do you know? They say they can give me a local. But will that numb me inside where that catheter is going to go? I don't know what to do. I don't like pain but I can handle a little bit of pain but not a lot. What do you think?
HELP!!

shellie_54 replied to bj1208's response:
well, it is going into my lower back and they said they can use a local on me. I know it will numb the skin but will it numb where that cathator is going?

I know my wife had epidurals when she delivered both of our sons 22 and almost 24 years ago. It hurt going in but I think they did use some type of topical anesthetic to numb the area a bit first.

My wife has recently had epidural injections for her back pain. I just asked her, and she said her pain doctor did numb the area with a shot first. However, as Joy has said, you do need to be awake so they know they are getting the right area. Maybe they can give you something to relax you first. My wife was awake and did get through the procedures pretty well. They were also successful for a few months of pain relief each time.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 replied to shellie_54's response:
Hi Shellie -

To tell you the truth I've had so many procedures done to my back and I would rather get a shot in my back than a shot in the mouth from a Dentist!!

When they give the injections they do use a numbing agent to numb not only the skin surface but also the path of where the needle is going. The steroid includes both the steroid and a numbing agent and is shot into the irritated area especially if nerve roots are involved.

The site that Dave gave you is a good one and tells you how it's done. I would imagine you would have to be awake in order to tell them if they are in the right area. They might be able to give you a "Twilight" shot where you are still awake just a little groggy -

Call your doc's office and see what they can set up. I bet they can get it approved from your insurance as they will list it properly in order for claims to approve and process it.

Don't be scared - the injection is really not bad as you feel a little pinch as they give the numbing injection and just a little pressure when the needle goes in.

Hope this helps - but please do call your doc's office and see what they can get set up - if they do a Twilight shot you will need to have a driver!. Keep us posted~~

~~ Joy ~~

aprilrose9 responded:
They do a local to numb the area, prior to the epidural. You do feel some pain despite the local anesthetic. I would describe it as unpleasant, more than painful.

You could mention your concerns and request they give you the maximum amount of local anesthetic. Tell the physician you want her/him to be able to do their best work and you want to be able to be comfortable and hold still for the proceedure.

Remember, it is not necessarily in your best interest to "be put out". I am not sure if you mean a twilight sleep medication or a general anesthetic. Each and every time you receive a general anesthetic you loose quite a few BRAIN CELLS. Most people in the medical field recommend avoiding general anesthetic at all cost.

tlh509 responded:
I finally got the call I have been waiting for this morning, and next Tuesday afternoon going to get my first epidural injection. The pain hasn't been as bad as say about a month ago, but bad enough to still be a major bother, so am really looking forward to this next step. I keep hearing good things about people who have had these.

bj1208 replied to tlh509's response:
hi th509 - that's great news -

keep us posted and remember with most upidurals sometimes you won't feel any relief immediately as it takes time for the medicine to start to work. Some have had immediate relief while others may have to have another injection.

let us know how you are doing~~

~~ Joy ~~

shellie_54 replied to tlh509's response:
My first one really gave me a lot of relief. I am having another one Monday. It helped for about 4 months. I hope you get some relief from this. Let me know
Shellie

tlh509 & Shellie:

I pray these procedures will be successful for you. Please keep us updated.

My wonderful wife will be having pain injections (non-steroid) within a few weeks for her recent flare-up. If these are successful the pain doc will do another rhizotomy. He is pusing an SCS but agreed to do the injections to help her elevated pain levels.

Hope you all have a blessed and thankful Thursday.

Blessings,

-Dave

tlh509 replied to shellie_54's response:
Me too. I can't wait until Tuesday. 4 months, is a pretty long time! Thats great.

shellie_54 replied to davedsel's response:
what is a rhizotomy?

Helpful Tips

marybear53
I have had relief from facet injections in my lower back. My pain management doctor told me that surgery is not, and will not be an option. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center