Skip to content
ANGRY WOMAN!
aprilrose9 posted:
Hello, Yes, It is me, angry once more over the feeling of being trapped in my body and in this system. How does anyone make it through being in sever pain without His help? Some days even with His help I feel desperate and isolated.
Hard to believe I was once an optimistic person with a sense of humor. I feel like I have run a marathon and hit the wall at the 20 mile mark, but to me it was the 20 year mark. You get older, you get worse, you become more isolated and it is harder.
Earlier in the week I had my appointment at the pain clinic. I had to see a different physician and the scripts were written by someone else. The insurance company now refuses to allow these prescriptions to be filled. It is the weekend and I am stuck. No one cares. I will be the person who has to go off a boatload of meds cold turkey and suffer.
Like I said, they don't care. They go off for the weekend and I am the one to suffer ALONE.

davedsel responded:
Hello, Aprilrose.

So, tell us how you really feel. LOL. Just trying to lighten the mood.

I am so sorry you are going through this. We hate going to the mailbox on Fridays because it seems there is always some bad news in there that has to wait until Monday to be resolved. What is happening with this pain clinic is inexcusable, but it seems no one cares these days about patient/customer service.

You will definitely be in my prayers today.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

aprilrose9 replied to davedsel's response:
Hi Dave, As usual, you are such a sweetheart. Probably shot myself in the foot with all my wordiness and speaking with people who are normally taken care of by my attorney.

I have noticed the same thing about receiving workers comp info in the mail. It comes on Friday! For the last 25 years this has been a constant. Doesn't your wife have a new claim? I am sorry I do not remember all of her story.

Anyway, thank you for the support.

davedsel replied to aprilrose9's response:
Aprilrose,

I am very glad you feel comfortable enough to come here and vent. We understand and we are listening.

My wife's back injuries at work were in January and March 2011. She kept working with restrictions until a new store manager was assigned in August 2012. The new store manager refused to comply with my wife's restrictions resulting in my wife's pain was getting much worse. Her two doctors (chiro and pain management physiatrist) said that due to this she was 100% disabled and could no longer work.

She has had several hearings since then with the judge ruling each time that she is 100% disabled and was to continue receiving benefits at that rate. Last month the insurance company insisted she was not 100% and wanted to discontinue or drastically reduce her payments. Her wc attorney fought for her and the carrier stipulated to 75%. Her payments will be reduced by 25% starting in a few weeks. Yesterday she got a notice directly from the NY Workers Compensation board stating they were reviewing her case and are looking into the degree of permanence. Her doctors have both documented that the injury (in the second injury she fell off a short ladder onto her back with a box of patio umbrellas buffering her fall) has permanently disabled her, She contacted her attorney this morning and he said they are looking for a possible lump sum settlement and we will see what happens. The WC laws are so extremely complex and definitely do not benefit the employee.

Most of the time the hearing notices have come on a Friday. Yesterday's notice coming on a Thursday was a welcome change as she was able to get some clarification from her attorney.

I pray you can somehow find both pain and emotional relief today. My His peace be with you.

Blessings,

-Dave

Dear Dave, Your poor wife. Another sad story with legal complications and someone fighting every step of the way. Sorry for not understanding what is going on with your wife, but is the 100% disability meant as it relates to workers comp or for social security? I was unaware they were able to reduce payments.
How is your wife doing with all the legal issues? Thank goodness she has you to lean on for support. You have a good knowledge base from all your years monitoring for WebMD and I hope this will help as she goes forward with deciding on a course of treatment.
I am glad you explained what you two have been going through. I did not realize her injury had been this severe. Please, keep me posted on what is happening medically and legally. Hope she doesn't mind me talking about her!

davedsel replied to aprilrose9's response:
Her physiatrist has documented that my wonderful wife is 100% disabled as far as WC. She can never work in retail management again or any position in retail.

She has a functional capacity evaluation performed in October 2012. The reports from that say she can do sedentary work 75% of the time with restrictions. So, the physiatrist documented that based on this report and his findings in general my wife is 75% disabled. But, who is going to hire a 57 year old woman who can only work 2 hours per day, not lift over 15 pounds, and must not continuously sit or stand for longer that 15 minutes at a time? The answer to that, of course, is no one so her wc attorney's office has a division for SSD and have applied for her. According to what I understand about SSD, she should be approved. Her WC payments will be deducted from her SSD payments, but in two years she can get Medicare which is important.

As far as her back injury, it is antrolesthesis at L4/L5, several bulging discs throughout her spine and a hemangioma in her T section. Treatments have been steroid injections, injections with just an lidocaine, and two successful rhizotomies. Her pain levels have been going up as the affects of these treatments has diminished. She stretched this past Sunday and has been in very high levels of pain and using a walker to walk. She has seen the chiro twice this week which has helped a bit, and will see the pm next Wednesday. The chiro thinks that at least on of her bulging discs has now herniated.

It is literally the crippled leading the crippled in our house. We do what we can, but our house is not perfectly clean. We are now talking about finding someone affordable to help maintain our home inside and outside. We get one small area done and the others suffer. Very frustrating.

This whole thing with WC and the attorneys and the company has been extremely stressful for both of us, but God has carried us through each hoop and ultimately we will know His victory.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel's response:
Sorry I've been AWOL. My washer went out and my wife and daughter are still going at it.

I rebuilt the washer and learned how to come a Maytag repairman, except I have a kenmore so I need to use tools

My throw out bearing went out in my car so I fixed that.

My wife did something stupid last week and was very distraught now she's a tad grumpy again.

Dave sounds like your wife has good representation. I wish you the best.

trs1960 responded:
Yeah, doc tells you to keep some extra around just in case...try to refill a script 5 days early and they call you a drug seeker. Wait until your refill date and something will go wrong and you go 5 days or more without.

The insurance companies love their power over us!

T

Dear Dave, Thanks for the information about what is going on with your wife and her on the job injury. I appreciate the details, since I sometimes miss several days of checking in with the site, and get confused with what is going on with someone.

Sadly, you are right about your wife and her chances of employment. I once heard from a physical therapist, the employees who are injured, are the employees who are the hardest workers.

I wish the 25% decrease was not going to happen, or if it does, it can be changed on appeal and the amount is given retroactively to your wife. I will pray your wife receives a good judge for her social security. A good and fair judge can make a world of difference.

I can't afford a cleaner, but when I had a bit more money, I used to have someone come one time a month. Paying by the hour worked best vs by the job, and I would have them do the hardest parts (kitchen, baths and floors) first and then do the whole house if we could afford it. This would leave the dusting and touch up work from month to month. You know scrubbing the old commodes, keeping up with the horizontal dusting and running the vacuum. We would wear slippers or go bare footed to keep outside dirt out of the house. I know, I am very OCD! This did keep the cost down and made any mid-month cleaning easier. Just some suggestions, since house cleaners (who work very hard), but can get expensive when you have a limit on your income.

I can't thank you enough for how supportive you have been. After all the years I have been in bed...I am no longer the same person. I feel physically and emotionally weak. The support and kindness which has come from you and others on this site has meant a great deal to me.

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center