Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pain above buttocks please help
amac4035 posted:
I am 17 years old and i play sports and am active. recently i have intensified my workout. every time i run more than a mile, i get a sharp pain above my buttock that hurts when walking and running. it even prevents me from bending over. the pain was originally over my right buttock, but now that side healed and the left top buttock hurts. Just today the pain is now on both sides. I have stopped my workout and have not run in three days. I walk as little as possible and have been resting my back extensively. I have a lacrosse game in a few days and I am wondering if I should play through the pain or will this cause permanent damage. I have an appointment to get my back checked in 2 weeks but between then and now i have 4 games. Please help to decide if this is a temporary pain due to intensified workout or if this is a serious problem.

Barbi_M04 responded:
Hi. Sorry about your problems especially being so young. Pain is your bodys way of telling you that something is not right. If you are in pain I would miss the first game of lacrosse(i know how physial lacrosse is, I am canadian. lol) If the pain is completely gone then maybe it was over excercising but until the pain is gone(this is the advice I would give my teenager) I would not to anything too physical. If you did damage your back in some way and played lacrosse you could end up in really bad shape. With your parents permission Advil can help with muscle pain. Just my opinion and good luck

Porter1971 responded:
Hey there Amac, its hard to tell with such a simple description of the problem, but the fact the pain went away on its own would lead me to believe its not serious at this point. Doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong just not serious enough to rush off to the surgeon. The pain you are describing has a familiar ring to it from my track days. You can improve this by finding a better shoe, or running on a different type of area. If you run on roads the fact the road is uneven causes hips to turn and twist even though you may not be able to tell, this can cause pinching and stretching that will cause pain afterwards, same applies if you run across grass. The rubberized tracks tend to be better if you have one at your school. My opinion is ( and by no means am I a doctor) if it were me I would probably play through it making sure you rest and either use ice or heat in the area between games. My bet for the change in pain to a different area is that because you were in pain on the right you leaned more to the left as a reaction thus allowing to the right side to heal and causing more pain to the left. I would still keep you appointment to make sure your not working on a pinched nerve though it doesn't sound like it. Lots of things in that area that could cause pain so its hard to tell. My best guess is muscle though from running on the uneven ground. Hope all goes well for you and good luck in your games.

Jan0325 responded:
Hi Amac. As was said in a prev post that pain is your body's way of saying there is something wrong. We are not doctors here but we do have some experience with back pain.

I would suggest that you talk with your parents. Go see your doctor to find out what the problem might be. In the mean time use cold on the pain area for 20 minutes on and 40 minutes off. If warm feels better do that. Do not however use both.

Let us know how things go.

Jan

ouch1964 responded:
amam4035, I am not a Dr but I have a lot of experience with back pain. To me it sounds like you are having a muscle spasm. The best thing for that would be to appy ice and to walk. Have you tried any icy hot or Biofreeze on it? How about a massage? By all means keep your Dr appt. Good luck with your game. Marie

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center