Skip to content
Laminectomy/Discectomy 3 weeks before my wedding..
megs0913 posted:
Hi, I am a 36 year old female who has suffered from a 9mm herniated disc in my L4-L5 for 8 months. I have been going through unbearable pain and weakness in my legs which has made me almost unable to work at times. I have been bounced around with the docs, who decided I needed either 1. more physical therapy, or 2. steroid injections, 3. more MRI's, until finally a few weeks ago I was nearly suicidal with the pain and demanded to see a surgeon. The surgeon told me I had a central disc herniation that would likely never have gotten better without surgery plus it was putting me at risk for permanent bowel and bladder dysfunction (which I had already had some intermittent). I saw the surgeon this last week, finally, 3 WEEKS BEFORE MY WEDDING. He scheduled me for my surgery and I had the procedure on Friday. I feel like a new person already. Of course I am sore but I can honestly say this doctor saved my life. I bring this up because I am a medical sales rep and yet I am so unbelievably upset with the medical system that refused to accept that perhaps what I needed all along was surgery. If I had gotten the help I needed in the first place I wouldn't be in this recovery situation 3 weeks before my wedding and wouldn't have suffered to this extent for months, attempting to work full time and take care of my daughter and stepsons, etc., in the meantime. I want people out there to know there is hope and this surgery ended my pain immediately. PLEASE do not be afraid to see a surgeon and get an opinion. After reading the research more, surgery results are excellent with this procedure and many people experience LESS disability who have surgery. I wish all of you out there with back pain the best...those of us who have it are the only ones who truly understand what you go through.

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

You are a prime example for the benefits of being proactive and persistent with your healthcare. It is extremely unfortunate that you and all of us have had to kiss a few frogs before finding your prince, as they say. As you have proved, there are good doctors out there who do care about their patients. We just have to keep looking until we find them.

We rarely get people coming and sharing their success stories. I appreciate your doing so. Thank you.

I pray your spinal and general health continues to be good.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

megs0913 replied to davedsel's response:
Thanks for your reply! I do feel it would be beneficial for us to read more stories of success in these blogs but also we need to take control of our own health. My story was a prime example of how we can only trust the physician community so far to know what is best for us before we have to advocate for ourselves. By the way, what other sites are good for sharing these stories?

davedsel replied to megs0913's response:
There is a WebMD Pain Management Community here: http://exchanges.webmd.com/pain-management-exchange
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center