Skip to content
Pain pump saga
trs1960 posted:
I finally got the approval from the insurance co. Now we're just trying to schedule it. It's out patient, but in the hospital O.R. not the surgical center by the docs office

I haven't had a pain med refill since early June. I've stretched out what I had and would take some when I was suffering too much.

I was about ready to give up. There are times when the pain gets the best of me, but I don't want to start back up regularly just to try and quit again. But geez I'm at my limit!

T

debs_bears replied to trs1960's response:
Will be praying for good results and a quick recovery from the implant. Deb

trs1960 replied to debs_bears's response:
Well it's on. I'm in recovery on my IPad. Probably breaking a few rules being on the WIFI.

Everything went fine and the sutures are hurting, but I'm sure they'll clean up and heal in a week. I just hate being in the hospital !!!

davedsel replied to trs1960's response:
Thanks for the update, Tim! Glad surgery went well. We will continue praying for healing and success.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel's response:
It will probably take a week or so to determine how well it works. The doc said getting off my meds prior will really help. He told my wife that it was amazing for me to eliminate the pain meds and stay off of them for months awaiting the pump!

Right now I'm going crazy. Trying to relax in recovery and the sutures are annoying, but the beeps and alarms from all the tubes hooked up to me are driving me nuts

O2, BP, bladder function... I think they're even monitoring my sphincter muscle!

They said they'll take it all off in a few hours. I've got movies on my IPad. I'm sure I can fall asleep without all these tubes and beeps!

I am glad you are well enough to let us know how you are doing. I'd be sleeping. After all the bells and whistles stop working you'll be fine because you should be somewhat pain free. It might take a few weeks but hang in there you can do it - you did it before. Now try to get some sleep, you need it to heal. Praying for you Deb

trs1960 replied to debs_bears's response:
Right now I'm not going to be sleeping for awhile. I just have that insomnia feeling. They gave me two ambien and I'm still wide awake. The front incision really hurts, but everything else is fine.

tuloud54 replied to trs1960's response:
Just take your time,my friend. It is probably more worrying about things but you will be fine. You will be sore but nothing compared to what you have been through. It did take time,about 3 months to get to my best dose but you may get there quicker by using minimal drugs beforehand.Just let the dr help you get to where you deserve to be. Praying for just a little more life for you.Existing is ok for awhile but it really is no way to live.Thanks for all you do for others.Now,this is about time for Tim.God bless you and yours. Tom

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
Hi Tim - I'm sorry I missed your post of recovery efforts - I've heard it can take a while and you are a real trooper~~

Keep us posted how you are doing- I know it will be hard trying to sleep but hope you do get a nap in somewhere~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
I'm doing pretty well. Mostly all I feel is the suture pain. Of course I haven't done anything to aggravate my Back so until I heal up a little more I won't know for sure. I know the pump is on at a really low setting, but I swear my spine pain is lower, maybe it's because I can't take my mind off the staples!!!! T

trs1960 responded:
Staples out Monday. Things are going well.

T

davedsel replied to trs1960's response:
Sounds good, Tim. Thanks for the update.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Glad to hear your staples are coming out. Thanks for the update.

trs1960 responded:
Staples are out, things are great. I got my wireless device to give myself extra meds if needed. Incisions look good and just the area around the pump is still sore.

Interestingly, I asked my doc about concerns with legally driving and he said with the pump delivery he doubts the meds would even show up in a blood or urine test!

That's good news epically here in NV. There is a small amount of opiad you can have in your system if it's prescribed, but it's a very small amount. I have a close friend who just got out of the hospital for spine surgery yesterday and was supposed to be in court for a DUI for driving on meds. He got his court date pushed out, but that is a huge black cloud hanging over him!

tuloud54 replied to trs1960's response:
Thanks for sharing.Good news is way overdue you! The best thing for my pain was having the pump without feeling any effect whatsoever. Been on different meds for 6 years and barely notice I am on anything. Pain has made my life harder then I would have liked but never giving up.when I wanted too, has just made the days sweeter.No longer afraid of pain coming back but I will never forget that it would still be there without my pump. Moving to Phoenix in a couple of weeks and maybe,just maybe,I can get some of me back. Prayers all around for you and yours. Time we enjoy our lives instead of surviving. Nobody gets out of here Alive. Peace,Tom

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
Hey Tim - I am so happy everything is going great - I don't know if you remember some of the 'old timers' but there were a couple of members that had the pain pump implant and were so happy with it. made a great difference in their daily lives.

I hope your friend is doing well. and I hope his court date goes in his behalf. gotta be a crazy ordeal to have to go thru.

well I will be having back surgery after the first of the year - a couple of things have to take place - reducing my pain meds in half and quit smoking (or at least cut way down). the one surgeon I was going to go with wasn't going to have me cut my meds down before surgery which I don't agree with that - gotta have a starting point on pain coming out of surgery and plus going in too.

Hubby and I have appt on 11/7 with surgeon to go over everything - then will meet with pain doc and start the reduction process. He said depending on how well I do it may take a month or less but if I don't do well it could take over a month. So will see.

So glad you are doing well. keep us posted~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center