Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back pain
An_253592 posted:
Hi,
I have a normal BMI. I was overweight earlier but I lost 13 kgs recently. I am struggling with severe lower back pain since 3 yrs. It is just on the left side of my body extending to my left leg till the knee. The pain in the leg is just in a nerve running at the front side of left leg.
2 years back my physician doubted me having a herniated disc therefore recommended a MRI scan of my lower spinal cord. There was slight bulging of the nerve in MRI scan but the doctor said that this is normal and it cannot be diagnosed as a herniated disc. He diagnosed me having muscular pain and recommended exercise, brisk walking and visiting the physiotherapist.
Now, the pain is always there. I am unable to bend and sit. My body
posture also appears distorted when I walk.I am in a lot of pain.
Physiotherapist visit gives me temporary relief. Working out on a cross-trainer also does not help much. I dont know how to get rid of
this pain. It is effecting my daily life.
Could this be pain arising due to epidural which I had 4 yrs ago ?
Please help.

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

I just want to let you know that we are a support group of lay people who are not doctors, but have more experience with back pain than we would like.

Please read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists recommended steps for getting back pain diagnosed and treated. Within that thread are links to websites that have good information regarding spinal issues and treatments.

IMHO, it would benefit you to get another opinion from a spinal orthopedic surgeon or spinal neurosurgeon if at all possible. Take your MRI films and report with you. You say the MRI shows a "bulging of the nerve". Is that what the report says? I've managed spinal problems for over 35 years and have done a good deal of research, and have never heard that term. Usually it is the discs that bulge and press on a nerve.

Keep doing your research using those spine websites. Keep moving as much as possible even though it hurts. Keep a positive attitude.

I pray you do find answers and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

susieq41 replied to davedsel's response:
I tried clicking on the link for the list of web sites and it says error 404 the page is no longer available. I think it needs to be reposted or something.

davedsel replied to susieq41's response:
Look further down in that thread (the Tip at the top of this page) and you will see where I did post correct links.

Here are some good links:

WebMD Back Pain Center: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/default.htm

Spine-Health: http://www.spine-health.com/

Spine Universe: http://www.spineuniverse.com/
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

ppayal replied to davedsel's response:
Thanks !

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center