Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
yoga after back surgery
suebill74 posted:
I had a lumbar microdiscectomy on L5 S1 on May 31, 2012, a second one done on June 6, 2013 (on the same location of my lower back) then on July 29, 2013 I had an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion on C4-5 & C5-6. My neck seems to be doing pretty good pain wise. My lower back is still giving me some pain and discomfort, when it does I take a pain pill and lay down till pain subsidizes. My question is can I start doing yoga to help strengthen my back and to overall feel better?

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

I have never had surgery but have done a great deal of research regarding spinal conditions and treatments. Also, I am not a doctor nor are any of us in the support community.

From what I understand, it is probably too early for you to considering any type of regular exercise routine. I am not at all familiar with yoga, but believe it involves stretching. Your best source would be your surgeon - call and ask if you can do yoga and exactly what are your restrictions.

Others who have had surgery will eventually reply and share their experiences.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

suebill74 replied to davedsel's response:
thanks davedsel for responding, I'm just impatient, wanna get back to being active, body says no, mind says yes, lol, you know how it is!!

bj1208 responded:
hi suebill74 - welcome to the support group -

don't be impatient~~~ PLEASE~~~ Do as your doc has instructed.

I had Anterior Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 2/08 - I fused 100% and have healed very well. For some reason fusions in the lower back tend to take longer to recover from and there is a higher percentage that pains will continue and/or may get worse.

You can click on my name or pic and read my story.

You need to give your body time to heal - you have had a lot done in the last couple of years and your most recent one in June and July - you don't want to bend or pick something up as you can cause re-herniation.

Hope you will keep us posted how you are doing~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

suebill74 replied to bj1208's response:
glad to meet you joy, you sure have been through a lot of back issues. I haven't had a lower back fusion yet but at my last doc app (mid July) he told me that the disc that I have already had surgery on twice was heading in that direction, I had very little disc left and I needed to be very careful. wow, how do you be very careful, every move I make hurts. should I ask my doc for nerve meds, my legs hurt so bad on a daily basis along with my lower back?

bj1208 replied to suebill74's response:
Hi Suebill74 -

what you may want to do is ask your surgeon and/or pain doc to fit you with a back brace for the lumbar area. this will help to keep your back straight and will limit your mobility so you don't hurt your back worse.

I still wear part of my back brace from my surgery - it's the inner part that is a wrap around brace plus I have a back brace I got from my pain doc. and I will alternate wearing them depending on what I am doing.

you just need to really take it easy - I would almost say aerobic swimming would be best instead of yoga as with yoga you do twist and turn - this may not be good on the lumbar area.

as far as your legs and the pains you are feeling - you should have a test done - your pain doc should be able to do this - EMG and NERVE CONDUCTION Test - it's a 2 part test -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/emg/MY00107

I have the tests done each year so they can track to see if my nerve damage is getting worse etc. based on the findings they can put you on a med to help - presently, I know of 2 meds that help - Neuronton (Gabapentin is generic) and Lyrica. they both work very well with any nerve damage issues in the legs. I take Gabapentin and have been on that for 4 yrs. I can tell withing a couple of hours if I miss a dose as my legs will hurt real bad with the nerve pains.

hope this helps - keep us posted how you are doing~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

tlh509 replied to suebill74's response:
Hello Suebill74 and welcome. I agree with what Dave and Joy have said. Take it easy and ask your Doc. about any exercise. I know what being impatient is like too as I used to be quite active before my L-5 protruding disc surfaced. Now I am very cautious about exercise, but am back doing it. Slow steps. Good luck. Tom

suebill74 replied to tlh509's response:
thanks Tom for your input, I will try to take it easy!!!

suebill74 replied to bj1208's response:
thank you so much for your input, I will call my doc tomorrow and see what can be done!!!

suebill74 replied to suebill74's response:
I called my doctor, he is calling in neurontin for me!! She said if this didn't help then maybe some pain injections at the pain clinic, then maybe another MRI to see what's going on!! She said I probably have a lot of scar tissue still pressing against my nerves.

davedsel replied to suebill74's response:
Sounds like a good plan! Please keep us updated.

Continuing to pray for pain relief for you.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

tlh509 replied to suebill74's response:
good to hear, sounds like a good plan of action. Hope it helps you! Tom

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
217 of 334 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center