My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
AprilRose9????
trs1960 posted:
Anyone heard from her?

Tim

bj1208 responded:
AprilRose9 - are you ok???
Hey Tim -

I checked her history and see it's been a month since she posted (on heading of Angrey.....) and see she had problems with a script not being allowed to be filled and it was the weekend - I don't see anything current on her
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks Joy. I hope she's OK. I really care about her

T

aprilrose9 replied to trs1960's response:
Hi Tim and BJ,

Been stuck in bed! Finally feeling a bit better after a couple of very bad months. Did get my medication after days of phone calls. Why does everything have to be a fight?

Just went to PM doc and he couldn't understand why I was in tears during my appointment. Was VERY irritated with me and asked me four times why I was in tears. I wasn't rude, simply frustrated and in pain after an exhausting couple of bad months. Where the heck is the understanding and sympathy for a patients situation?

I was the one, not the doc, who suggested I had been on my meds for too long and needed to change meds at the appointment. In nasty pain since last Summer. My legs and arms had been jerking hard and fast for a month. My hands had a constant tremor and my eyelids would not stop fluttering. Cute look, huh? While I believe patients should be proactive...do we also have to diagnosis and take care of ourselves? So disappointed in my doc, since he acts like he is doing me a favor, by taking care of me as a patient. Basically said he had been willing to take on my difficult case. Huh? Did he go to med school and residency to only write NSAID scripts all day? The way he acted, you would have thought I was asking him to remove a brain tumor in his office. Suggested my behavior was "personality" based. Thanks!

Anyway just found this old article on spinal fusions. I think anyone thinking of having this surgery done should read this first. Here is the link http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-30/highest-paid-u-s-doctors-get-rich-with-fusion-surgery-debunked-by-studies.html
Hope it helps someone.

Thanks for thinking of me. It is super appreciated. Hope all my pals are doing o.k.

April-Rose9

aprilrose9 replied to aprilrose9's response:
Whoops, forgot to add the part, where after my suggested medication change...I felt better within 24 hours. After months of pain, which put me in bed, I guess it must be the new meds and not my "personality" as the doc suggested.

April-Rose9

bj1208 replied to aprilrose9's response:
Hey AprilRose - WOW!!! WOW!!!

Damn so sorry you had to go thru all this crap - and I mean CRAP - just not right for those of us who suffer from chronic pains.

I can understand that fully what you went through - in 2009 I had to switch pain docs as the one I was seeing said during a discogram "I give up on where your pains are coming from" he w rote out a script for meds (was taking hydrocodone at time) and when I called pharmacy for the refills I got a call from his nurse saying that at my last appt he told me couldn't see me anymore - I told nurse what he said and she said "Yes that was his saying he couldn't treat me anymore"!!! WTF No letter no call from pain doc - just plan releasing me by saying he doesn't know where my pains are!!!

So I didn't know what to do - he did ok the refill on my muscle relaxers and my neurontin. So for 1 month I went thru withdraws. Went to my PM and he worte a script for one months supply and referred me to a pain doc. This was a Godsend as the pain doc saw what all I had gone thru and referred me to the Physiatrist that I see now.

I never, ever want to go thru withdraws again - that was the most horrible experience I have ever felt. And now I'm on much stronger pain meds -

In regards to the article you listed - Yes that is a good article and everyone should read it.

As an FYI - I have done a lot of research - and I posted this on either a discussion I posted or a response (LOL don't remember crap anymore - dang pain meds~~)

What I found was that the majority of fusions done on the Thoracic and Cervical vs. Lumbar is quite alarming as most people who have it done on the mid-back and upper-back tend to have better recoveries than those having lumbar fusions Reasoning for this is the lumbar is what carries us with weight, pressure and the most common to have back aches. Out of 30 people I spoke with that had lumbar fusions only 2 came out of surgery with a full recovery and no pains. Rest of the people continued to have severe chronic pains.

I've only spoke to about 15 people having Thoracic and/or Cervical Fusions came out with little or no pains.

The research I did was in my area (Kansas City) so I can imagine most places will have similar outcomes.

I know it sounds horrible but I am excited to have my fusion - this will get rid of the disc that is moving and crunching over arthritis buildup from the last surgery. so that will be more stable.

Glad that you are doing better - we were worried about ya - take care = {{{HUGS}}}
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to aprilrose9's response:
It's good to hear from you I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I feel lucky to have the doctors i do. I hope things stay on the right track.

Best of luck to you

My prayers are with you.

Tim

aprilrose9 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Bj,

Very nice to hear from you! So hard to believe how unprofessional your doctor was with you in 2009. A physician friend of mine, told me physicians are not allowed to ABANDON a patient. Not sure if he meant it is against the law or unethical, but he was very clear that it is never to be done.

I have been wondering lately about the level of monitoring physicians have with their individual practices. While residents are monitored closely, it makes me wonder how much is done once a physician has become an attending. I once had a nerve block done by an anesthesiologist and found out he died in the next month or two...of a DRUG OVERDOSE!

I have to get drug tested every three months. Why is it the docs get away with all the drug and alcohol use? One of the cardiothoracic surgeons came up to the unit to see a patient VERY drunk one evening. How many people want a drunk person making medical decisions on a vent dependent patient fresh from open heart surgery?

My complaints are based on patient rights and standard of care. I watched a documentary (POV) last night, about an Oakland, California ER and low income patients. It was a heartbreaker. One thing stuck out to me...and that was one of the physicians. He was great with the patients! So thoughtful and caring. We need many more like him.

So where is the problem. Are they screening for medical school correctly? Is it a problem in the medical culture? An oversite issue? I feel when you make a large salary, responsibility for the outcome on peoples lives, there should not be such a large disconnect for the quality of care and stringent oversite of the profession.

Glad your surgery is right around the corner. I sure hope this takes care of your problem and you get some relief. My wish for you is lots of pool time next Summer! Doesn't that sound good? Keep us all posted on your upcoming surgery.

Take care,
A-R9

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
217 of 334 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center