Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Broken Back- vertebra fractures
    An_253980 posted:
    Spring 2010, landed on tail bone onto concrete floor probably a drop of 6ft, had pain since and x-ray showed nothing. Aggrevated my back many times since, Sept.2010 CT showed compression fracture of T11 and compression deformies in Thoracic and Lumber Spine, was put on light duty at work shortly thereafter then work injury lifting 200lb late Jan.2011. MRI showed progression of an anterior wedge compression fracture of T11 and evidence of a anterior wedge compression fracture of L3, also mild disc space desiccation(dehydrate) seen at L2-3 level. MRI done May 2011. It has been a hard to adjust, being physical active and outgoing to near zero activity and home bound. Pain medication has gradually increased due not knowing my boundary, I am on the pain patch and other meds to keep my pain level down. I have learnt to be disabled because I have had a hard time coming to that conclusion, trying to learn yourself that you are no longer capable of playing recreational sports or working for living. Everybody thinks I capable because I can still walk and move, I sometimes think that I am capable but reminded by weeks of increased pain. I have been up to 100mcg using the Fentanyl Patch, then down to 75. Back up to 100 now working on going down again 75mcg, I have to work on pain management because I don't know? I am being treated by my family doctor and would like to see me at 50mcg and I don't think I can get there. Should I be looking at going to see a pain doctor?

    Thank You
    davedsel responded:
    Hello and welcome.

    I am sorry for all you have been through and fully understand.

    Yes, you would benefit from seeing a pain management specialist that is a physiatrist. These specialists offer a wide variety of methods and treatments for pain management such as prescription pain medications and injections.

    Was your initial accident at work? Do you have a workman's compensation attorney helping you with your case? My wife had a back injury at work in March 2011 and is now considered permanently disabled. Her wc attorney has helped deal with the extremely complex laws. I was born with some spinal deformities that got worse with age and I had to stop working 5 years ago. It is very hard to adjust to that lifestyle and it gets frustrating at times.

    You would also benefit from reading through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain. Within that thread are links to websites having good information about spinal problems and solutions.

    I pray you can get treatment and more relief soon.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    jjstarr replied to davedsel's response:
    Thanks Dave, I appreciate your comments and have already followed through with most of the recommended steps. The initial accident occurred at home, the aggrevations occurred on the job. I did not know the extent of the initial incident until I went for the MRI which happened after I went to emergence from work aggrevation. It is funny how things go in life, like I should not have had a incident with the work I did that day but it happened. My union is representing me and the company is fighting it, I have had 3 work aggrevations at work before I was let go. I am confident I will win the appeal when it goes to before a Tribual, my rep. is sure of this also. It takes along time to get to that stage, Thank God for ODSP. Have a great day. I am greatful for this site and people like yourself, Dave.
    Take Care
    trs1960 replied to davedsel's response:
    I agree with Dave, but want to warn you about the fentanyl. If you read up on it, it's really not intended for chronic pain and over time can cause problems. It's really for end of life comfort and while some have success with, many have had bad results. Many deaths are attributed to its use and there have been class action law suits against its maker.

    Not saying you need to quit, just warning you to be careful. At 100 times stronger than morphine it has both great analgesic properties and terrible side effects.

    Sorry to read of your problems I wish you the best of luck.

    tlh509 replied to trs1960's response:
    and me as well. Hang in there and keep us posted. Tom

    Helpful Tips

    Try water therapy
    I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center