Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dumb Questions
dapieguy posted:
I see mentioned in a lot of posts breakthrough pain. What is that? It seems that my docs are using different pain level scales. How to you tell tell them apart? How do you describe to your doctors that there are 2 different types of pain going on? From my left foot up the left leg and into the skull is a white searing hot pain. Yet all the while the leg feels like it is in a grinder. The docs seem only interest in the leg pain. Could that be because I have rapidly losing strength in both legs?

It is hard for me to believe that this all started just 2 months ago seems like forever!!

I know this is not making any sense. I am having a bad day and the meds are not helping. At least it is only an hour till the next dosing!

davedsel responded:
"Breakthrough pain" is usually what happens despite your being on prescription pain medications. Doctors use different meds many times for 'regular' chronic pain, and also prescribe something stronger just for times when you need a little more help.

Have you read through that Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community? Within that thread are links to websites that have good information about spinal problems and solutions. Going to those websites may help you understand things a bit better.

I pray you get relief today soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 responded:
Describing pain is one of our greatest obstacles. Many study's have been done to try to objectify the subjective. Commons words were found like pressure, stabbing, electrical shock etc and then matrixed with words like despair, anxiety, anger etc to build simple scales that doctors could use to get consistent answers. They don't (they better not) expect my 3 to equal your's and everyone else's 3, but if I come in and say 7 when I was 3, the doc has some perspective.

For trauma it just simplifies the complexity of describing how you hurt. A torn ligament hurts like hell, but each of us may describe it quite differently. If asked where is between 1-10, I would say we would have much similar responses.

Not perfect, but they do help. Pain is invisible and impossible to truly describe.

T

dapieguy replied to trs1960's response:
Thanks Guys. I have just been lurking not responding to much. My PCP changed my pain med around and it seems to help a lot. Went from popping pills every 4 hrs to extended release MS Contin & Roxicodone. Had the EMG's done today so we will see what happens. Hopefully I will start back up with my hobbies soon. Returned to work last week. After 2 weeks a 70 hr week is a shock!!! Soon I will be off for the winter time to recoup then!!

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center