Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hows this for a good doc?
trs1960 posted:
My PM doc gave me his personal cell phone number some time back. Last night after 5 days of pain beyond what my pain pump would mitigate I texted him to let him know. About an hour later he replied. " call my office in the morning and TELL them to fit you in between 2:00 and 4:00" I did and they did. He squeezed me in and tweaked my pump settings. We found a glitch in the lockout settings that was not allowing me to use the "bolus" treatments (extra shot of medication for breakthrough pain). He increased the base medication level and fixed the bolus lockout so I can access more medication.

I can't believe how lucky I am to have such a good doctor!

Tim

bj1208 responded:
Hey Tim -

Wow I could not imagine what horrible pains you were having but glad ur PM doc did what he did - that is great.

Hope you're feeling better - keep us posted~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

davedsel responded:
That is really a good doc! Very few would do something like this. I am glad for you, Tim, and hope you are doing better.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears responded:
That is an awesome doctor. But why did you wait 5 days in so much pain? I would have been texting/calling within 2 days... Anyways glad to hear you were able to get the pump working right and you should be able to be pain free again. Deb

trs1960 replied to debs_bears's response:
I waited to see if things would calm down if I slowed down. I don't just want more drugs when I hurt because soon you run out of more drugs. I need to use the drugs to help me, but they're not the only tool I have. So after 5 days I new it wasn't going away by jut relaxation and deep breathing and contacted him.

Thanks guys

aprilrose9 replied to trs1960's response:
Dear Tim.

Thank goodness you have a great doc. After your horrific trauma you need someone on your side.

Hope the pain pump ends up giving you some of the relief you need. After all the pain and effort you went through to get the darn thing, I hope it ends up being a good solution to a difficult problem. A-R9

trs1960 replied to aprilrose9's response:
It's helping April. I'm more concerned about you than I am myself. My pain is tolerable. I've just been over doing it. There was a power problem at my wife's office and it took out a computer and created network problems. I spent the last few days playing computer tech and my lumbar hurts, but now I can rest and hopefully it calms down.

My wife works for a small business owned by the nicest couple. I can't help but go help them. It also helps me understand what returning to work would be like and as of now there's no way I could do it.

Please don't be a stranger and keep us as part of your life. A little empathy and friendship is good for us all

Tim

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
Hey Tim -

Don't try to overdo yourself by trying to work etc., you just had a major operation by having this placed in your body so you must give yourself time to heal and get accustomed to having this inside you.

We all have visions of actually being back in the work-force and for some it can happen while others it's only a dream.

take it easy and don't overdo yourself~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

aprilrose9 replied to trs1960's response:
Dear Tim,

Thanks for the kind note. I am doing better the last couple of weeks since my meds were changed (at my suggestion).

How very gentlemanly of you to help out your friends with their tech problems. Glad you can now give yourself some time to rest. With the holiday season starting up soon, your daughter back from university and other unexpected things coming up on your radar, you will hopefully be able to enjoy some time with those you cherish.

I don't purposefully stay away from the site, simply stuck in bed and can't even think of doing more than moan and groan my way through the day. Embarassing to admit how much the pain gets to me, but I can only push myself so far and once I cross a line...I am done for!

April-Rose9

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center