Skip to content
Just an update
bj1208 posted:
Hey Everyone - just wanted to let you all know that today if finally the day my hubby and I see the spine surgeon. My appt is at 4:15pm.

I will try to get on later and let you all know how that goes and when have the date of surgery set.

later~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~
FirstPrevious12NextLast

tlh509 responded:
good luck to you today!

davedsel responded:
I will be praying, Joy.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

charl1942 responded:
I'm praying for you sister.
Charl

dianer01 responded:
I realize I am a little late but I hope it went well.

di

bj1208 replied to dianer01's response:
Hi Di - I responded to your email - hope you rec'd it~~

~~ Joy ~~

bj1208 responded:
Hey Everyone ~~

Sorry I didn't get back to you all - the appointment went very well. my surgeon commended me on stating I have already discusses reducing my pain med intake before surgery and that my pain doc would like to see me take 1/2 what I take now daily.

This is what the surgeon told my hubby and I:

1) he will put a cage in to help keep spacing

2) he will remove the damaged disc

3) he will look at nerve roots to make sure none are being pressed on

4) he will put in screws, cage plate and 2 rods adhering it to my other plate

5) he will cruse my disc and put it back in cage with medicine to help regrow disc

I will be in hospital for 3-5 days depending on how well I do

They are contacting my insurance to get everyone in order and will call me so we can set a date just after the first of the year. I just didn't want to go thru recovery during the Holidays and if you think about it the first of the year is just around the corner

LMAO - I think my hubby was a little mortified listening to the surgeon describe what he will be doing. And I went into detail to let surgeon know what the other surgeon did on my first fusion. I guess it really hit him hard - he was out of town working when I had my first surgery and will be here for this one.

Oh yea one question I asked was: With having rods put in will I have less mobility? The surgeon laughed and said it looks like I have limited mobility right now!! Funny but when I stand up I'm always leaning forward (like a little old lady would) so the question was kinda redundant!!

I will lat you all know when the surgery is and when it gets closer I will give you all my email address as I can check my emails from my phone.

Thanks for the prayers~~Just need the Pixie Dust to come and dust us all so we don't have any pains~~

~~ Joy ~~

aprilrose9 replied to bj1208's response:
Dear Bj,

Looks like everything is in order for your surgery. I, along with others will be thinking of you and keeping you and keeping you in my prayers.

I am sure you know this, but make sure you have a private room. Never want to have surgery (especially spine surgery) AND A ROOMEMATE. Chances for contamination are too high and you never know the diagnosis (or multiple dx) of the other patient.

Being nosy! Is the doc going to have you bank blood?

You sound like such a strong person with a positive attitude. Your husband sounds like someone who will take great care of you during recovery.

Keep us posted.

bj1208 replied to aprilrose9's response:
Hi April -

Yes I will bank blood!!!! LOL

Also, doc said I would have the pain pump so I can dispense my own pain med when I need it - better than when I had my first surgery as they came in every 2 hours and gave me morphine shots!!! Then they couldn't understand why I was awake all night - uh ya I was wired on morphine!! LOL then they asked if I wanted a sleep aide - I said Hell NO not with all this morphine - I didn't want to go into a coma!!

At least this coming surgery will be at a different hospital and yes I will request a private room - which the doc won't have a problem with that.

Thanks for the post~~

~~ Joy ~~

Dear Bj,

Can't believe you were able to read through all my errors. I really need to quit my lazy bad habit of refusing to proofread. My husband has been working 10 hour night shifts for the last 3 months and I have my sleep schedule upside down. So, I am sleep deprived more than my usual back pain sleep disturbed cycle.

I had a pain pump for my anterior fusion and felt like I was in a hospital without a pharmacy. They had me sign a form stating I would pay for all pain medication which had been formulated for me and I did not use, (if the pump didn't work and I wanted it discontinued). My friends who are CRNA's said they are big money makers for the hospital. When I complained about how much pain I was in post op, (at my surgeons office a few weeks after surgery) I found out HE never ordered the pain pump and did not believe they were effective for pain relief.

When I was crying in the hospital, the residents doing rounds told me to just keep pushing the button. The thing is, the way they program the darn thing makes all the difference. Make sure they explain how the pump is programed. My husband wasn't with me, so I didn't have an advocate to fight for me. Sure wish I had Shirley McLaine yelling at the nursing station for me, like she did in the movies.

Your first experience wasn't a good one. Who wants to be so snowed, their CNS depressed to the point they are not able to take deep breaths post op. Very good way to end up with a post op temp and respiratory issues. I hope the pump ends up being a good happy medium for you.

Having your husband with you this time will make ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. Every patient needs at least one good advocate fighting for them in the hospital. When I was alone the 5 days I was in (the week before Christmas), I knew not having my husband to fight for me made me vulnerable to the residents who were taking the path of least resistance.

Many of us seem to have horror stories to tell. I don't want to put a negative spin on things. I simply want to give you a heads up so you have as much knowledge as possible.

Hope your upcoming holidays will be wonderful and you have a bit of enjoyment before you recovery.

Take care,
April-Rose9

Hey April -

yea we are not big on spelling/grammer here on WEBMD - I have spell check set up with Google Chrome so it helps a lot especially since i'm on heavy pain meds I tend to forget how to spell!! LOL

Anyway, with my first surgery my father-n-law and brother-n- law were there. As a matter of fact my brother-n-law had back surgery 3 months before I did with the same surgeon same hospital. my brother-n-law went thru HELL and back - he almost had a heart attack because his blood pressure rose thru the roof - they didn't give him any pain meds - my father-n-law and I were yelling at nurses and doc's til we could get the surgeon's attention to give him pain meds. his case was a worker's comp and it really was messed up.

so when I was back in my room first thing my bro-n-law did was get a wheelchair and took me outside for a cig - yea I know it's bad - but he just told the nurses to turn their backs. he also told the nurses that if I didn't get pain meds he would be up their in their faces til its was done.

I didn' know til one of my post op check ups that I told the PA how often the nurses came in to give me a shot of morphine. she stated that was ot the order - she got the records and just about had a cow - she said no wonder I was up all night wide awake and very "HIGH" she said the order was to give me a shot of morphine and then 2 hours alter see if I needed break-thru med (hydrocodone 10/325!!!) which is an oral pain med - she said they were giving me morphine every 2 hours -

so I had good and bad experiences.

Yea this time my hubby will be there plus my cousin (whom I grew up with- like sisters) will be here. She said she will stay a week with me so that will help a lot. She is such a caring person and I'm very lucky we are so close.

Thanksgiving time is kinda messed up - usually we have hubby's side of family here - about 30. and hubby's sister is having it on Saturday after Thanksgiving as she works day after. So we will go to that one. Hubby's oldest niece is having a small one on Thanksgiving day and we declined. Hubby said he just wants to have our household which will be me, hubby my youngest daughter and maybe her boyfriend. I'm just gonna get a small turkey, mashed potatoes, corn and pies (cherry, apple and pumpkin) oh can't forget dinner roles~~~ That's most important part~~ hehehe

Then we will have Christmas here - I go all out on holidays with decorations and Christmas is my biggy - I have the entire house decorated and have 2 trees - oops will have 3 this year - one of them is PINK~~~ will try and download pics.

Thanks~~later~~

~~ Joy ~~

Dear Bj,

Sounds like a big supportive family! I too love Christmas decorating and miss having a home I can decorate. So, I understand the three trees and am looking forward to seeing the pictures, especially the PINK tree. Please, do post the pictures.

Oh I will - I usually have everything decorated by Thanksgiving Day - everyone always says it looks like Christmas instead as we eat on my Christmas Table cloth that a dear friend made for me - I will post them - thanks~

~~ Joy ~~

deach777 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Joy, Hate to see you go through more surgery, but if it will help with the pain go for it. I'm off this week with a strained back and ribs and of course I have it in the neck also. More pain meds and lico patches. So take care of yourself and I'll check in more regularly. ~Deach~ (David-Evangelistic-Apostle of Christ).
God Bless

bj1208 replied to deach777's response:
Hey Deach - love the abbreviation for Dave - never knew that -

Unfortunately gonna have another fusion on top of old one - and as the saying goes there is no guarantee as far as pain wise just more stability on the spine. My surgeon says it could go either way - help or not help - I'm just wanting to the crunching to stop and hopefully not be bent over like an 80 yr old lady (only 52) so time will tell.

Dang Deach - you need to take it easy - that does not sound fun at all.

Hope you get to feeling better - take care and keep in touch~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center