Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Update on my surgery
debs_bears posted:
As you might be aware I was in the hospital 16 days - for a couple of reasons 1. couldn't keep my potassium levels up. 2. my small intestines wouldn't wake up. 3. couldn't eat or drink anything without getting extremely bloated.

I had my rectum and sigmoid part of my colon removed. They thought I had a parastomal hernia but it turned out to be a kink in my small intestines just under the stoma. They had to remake a new stoma (that is the part that sticks out of our tummies so we can go poo).

I am a week home now and my new stoma is not healing right. It is so flat that it is nearly impossible to go, I have granulomas on it that bleed I was told on Tuesday I am facing another surgery if the stoma keeps on receding at the rate it is going. I have to go into the hospital every 2 days for wound care as I can not do this at home. I could use some extra prayers.

While in the hospital I also found out both of my lungs are now partially collapsed and I now have COPD on top of everything else. Debbie

bj1208 responded:
oh Debs - I am so sorry you are having to go thru all this - you bet lots and lots of prayers your way -keep your chin up, kiddo~~

{{{HUGS}}}
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

aprilrose9 responded:
Dear Debs,

I am so sorry to hear all this bad news about complications. You will be often in my prayers.

I guess the good thing about being in the hospital is getting to the bottom of all the problems, but the bad thing is having to hear what has been found.

It is disgusting to hear wound care cannot be done at home. How do you make it to the hospital for wound care?

Please, know that I am thinking of you and hoping and praying for you to begin to heal. I will pray for healing of your stoma, less bloating and for the COPD to not advance in any way.

You are amazingly strong! I have never heard anything but strength from you. Get some rest and take care.

trs1960 responded:
Prayers to you. I get afraid each time I have an additional procedure as slim odds get more likely each time they cut you open or put you under.

If they're one 1 in a 1,000 your first time then you're 1 in 500 the second. 3rd surgery down to 1in 250, 125, 62.5, 31.2, 15.6, 7.3, 3.65, 1.83, 0.9, 0.45, 0.225, 0.1125, 0.0625.

Now that's 15 procedures, but you see the inverse exponential curve that is not in our favor.

Best of luck

Tim

debs_bears replied to trs1960's response:
Surgery is on hold at the moment. Mainly because of the other health issues I am dealing with. My stoma is still difficult to work with and despite my other concerns I wish my doctor could fix this and be done with it. I am to call her on Monday.

I go back to my pulmonary doctor on Dec. 23rd,

Neurosurgeon is ordering more MRI's and Xrays as my scoliosis and DDD is changing very rapidly. They also found more osteoarthritic changes in both my hips and tailbone area.

Thanks for all the prayers, they are much appreciated, Debbie

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center