Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Update On My Wonderful Wife
davedsel posted:
Several of you know that my wonderful wife fell off a ladder at work in March 2011 and suffered injuries to her back, mostly in her lumbar region. She worked with restriction for as long as possible but as of November 2012 the company refused to continue to honor those restrictions and she had to stop working. She has a Workers Compensation (WC) case and an attorney. In June of this year she applied through the attorney's office for Social Security Disability (SSD).

Good news: the SSD claim was just approved. We are extremely thankful for that.

Bad news: despite her doctors stating my wife is totally permanently disabled, the company's insurance has continue to question that. She had an appointment with an IME in early November who stated she was only mildly disabled. She had a hearing on 11/21/2013 and was reduced to 50% pay and temporary disability. There is still a fight ahead and we may be changing attorneys. She would actually like to settle this case and be done with the WC.

Being that she has now been approved for SSD her whole WC case may change. SSD payments compensate for the reduced WC payments. If her WC payments go up, the SSD goes down and vice-versa. Very complex and confusing, I know.

Bottom line: We are extremely thankful that her SSD claim was approved.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dianer01 responded:
Hi Dave,

I am sorry to hear you are still having frustration and trials with this but am very glad to hear about the SSD.

My best to both of you.

di

aprilrose9 responded:
Dear Dave,

This sounds positive! I hope this will allow you to concentrate on her medical needs and less on the irritating legal issues.

Thanks for letting us know. She is blessed to have you and you are blessed to have her.

April-Rose9

bj1208 responded:
Dave - I'm so happy - this is good news - even though you still have a fight ahead of you.

I hope you and your wife are doing well.

{{{HUGS}}}
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

davedsel replied to bj1208's response:
Thank you for your very nice replies Di, Aprilrose and Joy.

We are doing OK and better now with this latest victory. Another hoop gone through with hopefully only a few more to jump through to resolve and hopefully settle the WC claim. The laws really do not protect the injured worker any longer, they help the employers.

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears responded:
Hi Dave I don't come here as often as I use to so I am just reading this and it is good news about the SSD. I will continue to pray that the WC claims get it right.

I do pray for you and your wife daily. Debbie

davedsel replied to debs_bears's response:
Thank you, Deb. I am continuing to pray for your health concerns as well.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 responded:
More of us bottom feeders sucking off the system...

I paid into SS for 39 years. I've paid for private disability insurance for 27 years, but Gob forbid I actually need it!

Nobody understands better than us that we want cheaters off the out of the system, but why do those of us with facts in order that try to do the right thing have to fight for each penny!

Best of luck to both of and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Tim

tlh509 responded:
Dave, good news on the SSD claim. I am so pleased. I think we all understand how frustrating the health care system is in this country, you have to scratch and claw for anything, and then there is the expense! Don't get me started. Do take care, both of you! Tom

davedsel replied to tlh509's response:
Thanks, Tom.

My wonderful wife has an appointment with a new WC attorney tomorrow at 3:00 pm. He spoke with her on the phone for about 30 minutes this evening and thinks he can help her case.

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears replied to davedsel's response:
Hi Dave, how did the appt. go with the new attorney?

Hi, Deb.

The new attorney is excellent. He gave my wife the respect she deserves that the previous attorney was not doing. He has taken her case and will work towards a fair settlement. We are very thankful that we made this change.

Thanks so much for asking. How are you doing?

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears replied to davedsel's response:
Glad to hear this attorney is a keeper.

I am hanging I there - too many changes in my spine and can not do anything about them. Doctor doesn't even want to do any more xrays. Had trouble getting my muscle relaxers for my neck - so we had to go through my PCP, even though my doctor said I need them for life. Go figure..

My stoma is still causing problems but can't see that doctor until the 20th she might reschedule surgery then. Other than that nothing else going on, thanks for asking. How are you doing?

I am doing OK. My spinal conditions are getting worse with age as expected. No surgical or even pain management treatments available because every inch of my spine is severely affected. Had to buy a lift chair recently which helps me get up out of my chair. Still abundantly blessed.

Blessings,

-Dave

tlh509 replied to davedsel's response:
As per usual, hang in there Dave. There are some aspects to aging which suck don't they?! My brother had a lifto chair and he really liked it. It helped immensely. Take it easy. Tom

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
217 of 334 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center