Skip to content
Hey Everyone~~
bj1208 posted:
I'm able to sit a little longer so thought I would let you all know that i had the WORST TIME AT THE HOSPITAL~~and I mean it was the worst.

Here are some of the things that went wrong:

1) While in Recovery, I was crying and swearing as the pain was horrible so they had to move me to my room as I was getting the other Recovery patients upset

2) My left hand (just below the thumb) had the IV in it and the next morning my cuz said it was real swollen (she had been saying that thru nite) so we got nurse in there and sure enough my hand/arm were real swollen so nurse took the IV out and was going to put it in my right wrist - she stuck me and wasn't even at the vein - I screamed bloody murder and told her to get that F'ng thing out. I was crying so much and had never had anything hurt that bad. I scared the nurse so much that she called for another nurse that goes by a sonogram machine to find the veins. She came up and put it in a I didn't feel a thing!!

3) I had to supply my own blood pressure med, thyroid med and statin med as they did not have those. I also had to bring my own pain meds too - they refused to give me the muscle relaxer as it is one that just recently hiked the prices from $32 to $89 (Obamacare) and was told if I wanted any it would have to be from my script. Hell the only meds that they gave me directly from the pharmacy was the Neurontin, stool softener and tummy pill. I can understand maybe the pharmacy being out and having to order but they flat out told me they don't carry what I was taking. They finally gave me back my morphine and oxycodone bottles saying they do have those however the oxycodone they had were only 5mg so I had to take 6 of them at a time.

4) the morning nurse gave me the morphine and oxycodone together!!! WTH so by the time the nite nurse came on she wouldn't do same so they were split up.

So going from the morphine pain pump to oral meds was a much better ordeal - for one - since the IV was not in the vein all the medicine was going into my tissues causing me to swell up. No wonder I had a hard time with pain control - or should I say they had hard time with my pain control.

I am writing down all that happened so I can tell the surgeon about it this coming Thursday, my follow-up appt.

I sent my cuz a text asking her if there was anything else that happened. This hospital has never had a good rap and I've had Myelogram Tests done there before my first surgery, but the surgeon said it was a good hospital so not much you can do but guaranteed I will never go back to this hospital.

On a much sadder note - have had 2 incidents I'm not too happy about - one is I sneezed real hard and heard a big pop and then pain. This was the Friday afternoon after being released. The other is I accidentally bent down 2 times and felt same pop. I'm hoping it's nothing but will call doc's office tomorrow and see if they want me to have x-ray's taken and brought in.

Just thought I'd let you all know I really had a hell of a time
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

davedsel responded:
Joy, I am so sorry this has been such an awful experience for you. I pray you can continue to heal both physically and emotionally.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears responded:
Joy I am sorry at you had to endure such treatment at your hospital. I have known that if the IV hurts it's not in but if there is no pain it's good to go. My last hospital stay I went through 7 IV's in 4 days they finally put in a PICC line.

I also had to take in my meds. What is going on with the hospitals now a days, first it was you had to bring in all your toiletries now your meds. Makes no sense to me.

I will continue to pray for your complete healing. I hope the popping you heard isn't due to some damage. Debbie

biancalthompson replied to debs_bears's response:
Sorry to hear all that. Hope your recovery is going better now that your at home. I pray that your healing continues and I hope the popping isn't anything serious.

debs_bears responded:
Joy did you get in to see the doctor or at least get x-rays? How are you doing? Debbie

aprilrose9 responded:
Dear Bj,

I am sad and sorry to read this kind of report. What is going on at hospitals these days? No wonder patients just want to get the heck out of the places.

At home, cosy and warm sounds much better to me. Hope your recovery goes much better at this point. I too, had a horrible experience with my anterior fusion, full of inexperienced nurses (wanted to say another word), pain not controlled and post-op complications.

Hope your surgeon takes your bad experience seriously.

bj1208 replied to debs_bears's response:
Hey Debs

I spoke to the nurse and told her everything that has happened of course she chewed me out for picking up litter container as it weighed 35 lbs. She said she would let dic know an see if he wants xrays now but she also said he would let me know at Thursdays appt if xrays are needed.

Sounds to me she is gonna put note in file and not say anything to doc which is what they usually do.

I will let u all know what happens Thursday .

Thanks

~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears replied to bj1208's response:
Of course they will write in the chart - they wait for us to tell the doctor.

I am going through the same thing, stoma nurse writes down what's going on tells the PA but they don't tell the doctor so I could get in sooner. I have a lump that is doubling in size by the day and the PA says I'll let the doctor know and see if we can get you in. Not getting a call back in 3 days tells me that didn't happen and the PA doesn't believe me or the stoma nurse.

I will keep praying that nothing is wrong when you go for your appt. Debbie

aprilrose9 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Bj and Debs,

This is not a very good December for either of you. I had to learn the hard way, to watch what I say to the office staff and the docs.

I have read office notes (when I get copies) and find they have next to no relationship to what the discussion really was between me and the doc. Some people are much better than others about listening, understanding and documenting the true office visit. Also, some take a strong defensive approach and want to make sure they are legally covered.

It is not always about the truth as much as keeping themselves out of court. It does not always pay to be honest with them, since they will use anything against you in court.

I ended up getting in car accident a few weeks after a spinal fusion. The accident was the other guys fault. It was a postal worker who slammed into the rear of our car. After the goverment lawyers got through with me, I looked like the BAD guy and he looked like Mother Theresa.

Due to my years of working with patients, I could see from this guys face and skin color that he was a heavy drinker. They should have taken an ETOH level on the guy, but the officer did "not smell anything on his breath". It may sound funny, but you can see a great deal from peoples skin color. You can tell the location of a heart attack. The color of someones skin is different with a posterior MI.

I am only writing this to caution you about what you say to the medical people. They should be on your side, but sometimes you will find this is not the case.

During the hearing, they went back YEARS though ALL of my medical records and even brought up an ERROR written by a STUDENT. They made a big deal out of the number of years this guy had worked for the govt. and the fact that he said he was sorry for running into us.

Just want to let people know how much ALL of your medical records can impact you negatively. If you get into any legal situation and it is due to someone making a medical mistake or some other issue, they find a way to twist things and use it against you.

debs_bears replied to aprilrose9's response:
Thanks April I will keep your lesson in mind when I see my surgeon tomorrow.

My stoma nurse called my doc. office again on this past Mon. My stoma nurse called me on Tues. to see if I heard anything, I said no - and was told to them. I did not call just waited to see if they would and of course they did not - but they sent me 4 emails to check into "my chart" only to find out the doctors office sent 4 separate messages to confirm the 20th appt. The PA had no intentions of calling me or my doctor.

I am taking my friend who is my in case of emergency person with me to help document everything. The doctors are suppose to have our backs but they don't I am thinking it's just about the money we can generate for them. Just my opinion don't hold it against me okay? Debbie

aprilrose9 replied to debs_bears's response:
Dear Debs,

Hope you get the attention you need and deserve. I don't understand why the stoma nurse is not making a bigger stink about the lack of attention to your problem. The nurses role is to be an advocate for the patient. Maybe, I am misunderstanding the situation and he or she has just run into a brick wall.

I once reported and wrote a letter to the head of the dept.,concerning a patient in shock, who was ignored by the resident. The resident lost her job (i.e. was not allowed to finish her residency at the hospital). This is a big deal, since you need to be stinky bad, to have to finish your residency at a different place than where you started your first year.

Please, let us know how things go when you get seen.

Take care,
April-Rose9

bj1208 replied to aprilrose9's response:
Hey Aprilrose9 and Debs_bears and everyone else -

Just wanted to update you all on my follow-up visit yesterday.

Ok so when I called and spoke to the nurse I had really expected her to not have followed thru with putting note in my file and speaking with the doc. Oh boy was I wrong - she came in and asked questions from A to Z then went over the problems - the sneezing, bending and not squatting a couple of times and the biggie - lifting a 30 lb kitty liter bag. She chewed me a new _____ and then looked at my incision and remarked how well it was healing etc. I leaned over the exam table and she took out the stitches. no problems there.

As she was leaving the room she looked at me and said, "YOU KNOW DR. _________ IS GOING TO CHEW YOU OUT WORSE THAN I DID? RIGHT?"

Well he walked in no more than 20 seconds later, sat on exam table (I was sitting in chair) and I mean to tell you he chewed me out from top to bottom saying he won't be able to provide the proper care and cannot guarantee the operation to be successful if I don't follow his rules!!!!!!!

he then asked why I did those things and that's when the tears started rolling down my face and I told him why the bending and the kitty liter - I told him, and I swore that I would not be doing that anymore. I told him my health is more important and that right now I don't give a ____ about how the household turns out.

I told him I have OCD real bad and if I ask for something to be done I expect it to be done right then and there. I told him I'm really working on that and I promised I would not get angry and do it myself.

He said he wanted x-rays just to check my fusion - he said he really thinks its a pulled muscle. His office is right next door to the hospital but I told him I needed to get back to house as my daughter needed to get ready for work but my cousin was there and she would be able to take me to the sister hospital where I live. they were ok with that so my daughter drove us home and my cousin and I went to the hospital and I had the x-rays done.

It's funny to think my first fusion was done Anterior so the plate is in front whereas this one the plate is in the back - the tech let me look at it on her screen saying she can't say anything and she said she doesn't really know what to look for.

I didn't like how one screw looked. it could be just the angle but will have to wait for doc to look at them. They are supposed to curry them over as he doesn't have the access to get them from the portal. I just called and they said they still don't have them but were gonna call and make sure they do drive them over.

the waiting game,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have another follow-up on the 16th of Jan and will have to get more x-rays done.

well just thought I'd write a book and let you all know!! LOL

Hope everyone has a great weekend - be safe if you are in the storm path (we are) 7-12 inches is expected by Sunday morning!!! later...........

~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears replied to bj1208's response:
Joy with the exception of getting chewed out it sounds like a good visit - your healing is going well and you got your staples out.

How do you feel? Is the pain controlled? Debbie

bj1208 replied to debs_bears's response:
Hey Debbie -

Yea it was a pretty good visit.

I feel like I've been hit by a mac truck - my hips, buttocks and lower back are very sensitive to touch. It's really weird. I don't know if I did something wrong but I have the worst pain in my lower back right side - I get pains so bad I have to stand/sit still - it even makes me cry it hurts so bad.

I have the same pains in lower back at my first fusion site and the healing pains at the next fusion site. neither are being controlled by my meds - I'm at the limit on my pain med intake so not much they can do there.

Hope you are doing better - take care

~~ Joy ~~

deach777 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Joy, sorry to hear about your surg. fun,(not). But I think you knew it wouldn't take your pains away. Only replace it with other pains. Since working at a pharmacy I have yet to see anyone avoid pain after back surgery. For this reason I will not have it done. I'm having problems now with neck and the other end. Fire down below. Can't go to one dr. because I refused surg., said he can't help me then, so pain management is the remaining option. Well sitting hear is getting painful so talk to you later. Hope your pains lessen soon. ~Deach~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center