Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Sudden pain in lower back when standing
    ammar06 posted:
    Hello guys,

    Do anyone of you experience sudden pain in lower back when you stand from a sitting on bending position? or when you left your driving seat after driving for sometime? The pain stays for say 30 seconds and doesn't let me straighten for these 30 seconds and then slowly and gradually this vanishes away. A sudden contraction is also experienced in abdomen muscles along with this.
    does anyone know what is this? and what could be the remedy?

    davedsel responded:

    Please read through the Tip at the to of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain. Your best start would be with your primary doctor, then a spine specialist if needed.

    FYI, there is no doctor in this community and it against the rules for any of us to diagnose or offer medical advice of any type. We are a support group of lay people who have far more personal experience with chronic back pain than we would ever want.

    If you do not have a regular doctor or can not afford to go to a doctor, looks for a free or low-cost clinic in your area. Another options would be a teaching hospital as they offer services at a reduced rate. If your conditions seems urgent, then a hospital emergency room must treat you regardless of your ability to pay.

    Please update us after you has seen your doctor.

    I pray you can get answers and relief soon.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    ammar06 replied to davedsel's response:
    Dear Davedsel,

    thanks a lot for your advice and concern for my health,, i really appreciate.
    Definitely i will be seeing a doctor in 2 days,,, in the mean time i was asking the community members if anyone of them have similar experience?
    An_251837 replied to ammar06's response:
    Most people on this board would have similar experiences. They have seen doctors and done their research. It does not matter what others have gone through - you need to see your doctor to see what is happening with your back.
    bj1208 responded:
    Hi Ammar06 -

    I think you will find that the majority of the members here do have this happen.

    I know that I have this happen all the time - except it is worse than what you are experiencing. I have chronic pains (24/7) and it's hard for me to stand up either from sitting or squatting, walking/standing etc.

    The best thing to tell you is to get up slowly and be careful of how you are sitting. Sometimes crossing your leg may cause this so sitting with both feet on ground is better.

    there could be numerous reasons why you are experiencing this and seeing the right doctor would be in your best bet. Either Orthopedic Spine or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. Must be sure they are a spine specialist as they will know exactly what type of tests etc needs to be done and they are the only ones that know how to read test results accurately.

    please keep us posted what you find out~~
    ammar06 replied to bj1208's response:
    Thanks bj1208,, i really appreciate your feedback.
    I did visit a doctor, but he simply said i have weak back muscles due to inactivity and i should be doing more exercises & adopt an active lifestyle. He also subscribed nuebrol but i wont take that cuz in the past i experienced lower platelets count because of that. That doctor was a disappointment and i m now searching for some other good doctor and hopefully will find one. Along side, i also have cervical problem and experience pain in my shoulder and left side of neck.
    for the start up, i have started walking for 30 mins on 5days/week basis. Will keep the forum posted with updates.
    bj1208 replied to ammar06's response:
    Hi Ammar06

    Be sure when searching for a doctor that you find either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - they are the only ones that deal with spine issues and will be in your best interest to be examined by them, have tests done (MRI, CT Scan and X-rays) as these will tell if something is wrong.

    Please keep us posted~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center