Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My update about Surgeon's appt.
debs_bears posted:
For those who were following my story - here's the update:

My visit with my surgeon was a good one on all accounts.

My Dr. was surprised to see me because she didn't know I was having problems, there was no notes in my chart as to why I needed to come in and see her, except for it says follow up from surgery, which was incorrect already did that last month.

She poked and prodded and didn't feel a thing (of course I was laying down) so I said just a minute let me remove Lilly's covering and you can feel around when I stand up. Lilly is the name of my ileostomy. Okay she said, I can feel that and it's huge, what is it and how long has that been there? My doctor even helped get Lilly dressed (my appliance and bag) as there wasn't any mirrors for me to use. That was very nice of her to do that.

I told her the lump started 2 weeks ago on Sun. and it was only the size of a nickel and in those 2 weeks it has grown to wrapping around my stoma and I have been trying to get in since and/or at least get tests done but Barbara (the PA) has refused me anything. I told my Dr. how the pain has been increasing as well - and how Barbara told me not to walk if it hurts, take naps when I get tired and not press my appliance on when I change Lilly. Oh my that didn't go well. You should have seen Dr. Hay.....'s (name is blanked out) face.

I told my Dr. how many times I called and left messages and no one called back, even though the voicemail says they will call back by the end of the day, I let her know that my stoma nurses have called to try to get me in but Barbara (the PA) refused to do anything about that.

Dr. Hay.... was shocked to hear all this and said I am sorry but I "never" got any messages that you called. That is when I pulled out my 4 pages of notes and began to read the dates and times, my Dr. became very upset - not at me but her staff person Barbara. Dr. Hay.... apologized a few times saying "I should never have been treated like that. They could have gotten you in and/or ordered the tests. I have other doctors there in my absence".

Dr. Hay.... said "I thought I wasn't getting all my messages but I couldn't be sure, you just confirmed it thank you". I asked her so who works for who, apparently Barbara doesn't work for me though I pay her salary. Dr. Hay... said she is going to have to talk to Barbara.

My doctor does not know what is wrong but did order a oral contrast Ct-scan for the 26th and asked me to call the office to make an appt. for the following week, I said no, because I know if I called Barbara would tell me there is no availability she has done it before. So Dr. Hay.... had her nurse do it - I will see my doctor on the 3rd of Jan. near my home. Today's appt. was an hour away thanks to Barbara.

Dr. Hay.... also said that she didn't like the looks of Lilly and though she doesn't want to do another surgery she feels it is necessary to relocate Lilly and that it would be an open surgery with about a 6 inch incision. We will talk about it again at the next visit after the Ct-scan.

Sorry so long but had a lot to say, thanks for reading. Debbie

bj1208 responded:
WOW!!! Debbie I'm so sorry this happened to you - and that Barbara girl should be fired - no question about that!

You office visit and mine were completely different (not sure if you read mine yet - haven't viewed all posts).

There is no reason that girl should have treated you that way - none what-so-ever. Wonder what's happened with emergencies and how that "B" handled them.

I hope everything works out for you and you get a good diagnosis of what is wrong - damn you should make Barbara pay for your office visits and any up-coming surgeries - that would teach her a good lessen about patient care.

Let us know how u are doing - prayers and {{{HUGS}}}
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

davedsel responded:
Deb, I am so sorry this happened. I am continuing to pray for all your health issues.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

aprilrose9 responded:
Dear Debs,

Thanks for the update. Hope you get a clear picture of what is going on...very soon.

Glad to hear your doc does not support the staff members who are NOT doing their jobs. I wish these team members would change or change careers. The bottom line is: they harm patients.

Let us know the results after Christmas. Keeping you and Bj in my prayers.

April-Rose9

debs_bears responded:
Hi Joy, Dave and April, I had my Ct-scan done today I now wait until the 3rd to see the doctor. I have a funny feeling I'll be having more surgery in Jan. The lump is getting bigger and it was even showing up laying down this time. Not a good sign. I'll post next week. Debbie.

Yes Joy I read how your phone calls go, they actually give them to the doctor and write them in the chart. I wish mine were written down in my chart. At least I wrote everything down.

bj1208 replied to debs_bears's response:
Hi Deb -

I just love the waiting game - having to wait to see the doctor.

I'm waiting for mine to call me regarding the x-rays - I just put another call in so am waiting on pins and needles~~

Hope you are doing a little better - keep ur chin up (as much as possible~~)
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears replied to bj1208's response:
Joy I am just hanging in there now I am taking pain pills until I see her next week. Stomas typically do not hurt that's how we know something is wrong we have pain in the stoma.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center