Very Unhappy With X-ray Results
bj1208 posted:
Well I rec'd copy of written report of my X-rays and I'm really unhappy and extremely pissed - This x-ray was compared to one done 7/30/13.

"New transpedicular screw and rod fixation is present at L4/5, and a laminectory defect is present at L5. The right transpedicular screw at L4 extends to if not breeches the superior endplate. Only minimal anterolisthesis at this level remains"

I truly believe this happened when I sneezed real hard and heard a "POP" and felt extreme pains. well here's the written report: This is on the right side~~

Also:

"Convex left lumbar scoliosis is noted, with apex at L3, and a Cobb angle measurement of 13 degrees."

And:

"Degenerative disc disease with disc height loss and periarticular sclerosis is present at L4/5. Posterior projecting osteophytes are present at this level"

"Stable anterior fixation is seen at L5/S1, and markers within interbody bone graft material is present at this level."

"No fracture is detected. Atheroscherotic clacification is seen."

So basically the right screw is protruding out and I feel this especially when I have been up walking maybe 30 steps or if I have to go up/down the stairs at least 2 times. Then I'm in tears and can hardly walk because the pains are so bad.

The sentence where it talks about Anterolisthesis means that the L4-5 is still hanging over the L5 - but it's not grinding and crunching like it did before surgery. The laminectomy defect at L5 is wonderful - meaning it's a instability that is caused by the removal of the posterior arch of a vertebrae or the spine. My L5/S1 fusion was done with an Anterior approach. so it would seem there is a problem with this.

I will be calling my surgeon to see if they have the report and film. I have a fear I will have to go under knife again to fix the screw. Not a happy camper right now.

Will let you know when I talk t o surgeon or his PA.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~
FirstPrevious12NextLast

aprilrose9 responded:
Dear Bj,

Ouch! Makes me cringe reading this report.

I have always felt the patient and the patients family have good instincts and great information. All I can say, is you told them so.

Keep us posted,
April-Rose9

debs_bears responded:
I do hope the doctor has the films and written paper work. Ouch is right for all the right reasons. I will be praying for you Joy, please keep us posted. Debbie

bj1208 replied to debs_bears's response:
Hey April - Deb

I called and spoke to his nurse - they do have the x-rays and it's on his desk. He is seeing patients today and tomorrow (he doesn't celebrate Christmas) so they are open today and tomorrow -

I would think he would want to see me ASAP regarding the screw issue.

Will keep you all posted~~

~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks Joy I do hope they will get you ASAP. Not that you want more surgery it needs to be addressed. Debbie

Thanks Debs -

Have not heard from doc so called and left another message and told them I was in more pain and worried about the screw possibly being breached.

The waiting games begin~~

~~ Joy ~~

They will try to use the excuse we are busy it's the holidays. Or I am sorry but we are full because it's the end of the year.

I hope that doesn't happen to you and they will get you in now. My heart goes out to you. I do know how much pain you are in with that screw being out of place.

When my PT put my neck in a small range of motion even though the doctor said NO RANGE of MOTION and he did it anyways - the very next day I was hurting beyond control my doctor order emg. x-rays only to see the PT damaged 3 screws moved them out of place. I was back in surgery 2 weeks later and had to have all the hardware replaced.

My prayers are going out on your behalf, keep us posted. Debbie.

aprilrose9 replied to bj1208's response:
Dear Debs,

Not sure if this suggestion will work for you, but if things get too difficult to take, go to the ER.

Then, you can't be ignored.

April-Rose9

Hey everyone - well didn't hear from doc yesterday - kinda makes me think what Debs said is true - they will say they were too busy etc.

i'm pretty upset and in so much pain -hubby is working today and depending on how I feel I may go to ER - don't think they can gave me any meds as I'm on the highest dosage for each one but at least I may get admitted - and believe me I'd go to a different hospital.

just thought I'd let you all know - gotta go lay down.

~~ Joy ~~

I am so sorry Joy, I was hoping and praying they would have at least called you back.

I am truly sorry you are in so much pain - the ER might be your best bet. That way they will see you and or admit you due to the pain level.

I will continue to pray for you, Debbie

bj1208 responded:
I called and spoke to doc's assistant. Doc is in surgery all day boy did I break down and cried saying how much pain I'm in
She asked what activities I do that make it hurt! WTH!! I told her I sit in my recliner chair or lay on left side I'm bed and only time.I get.up us go.to bathroom or get coffee . Told her I can stand and walk 2 steps and pain is so bad
She said he will be in tomorrow and will look at X-ray . I called back a couple hours stressing saying I have written report and it shows a screw is out of place and.told her its pressing.on something.on right side
Asked if anyway to contact.him to let him know how bad it is. She said she will put a note on file that I called and he will see it tomorrow! ! So guess I'm low on totem pole.

~~ Joy ~~

aprilrose9 replied to bj1208's response:
Dear Bj,

Let us know what happens tomorrow. I, and I am sure many others, have been worried about your post-op problems.

Saying prayers for you. I know it will be a long night.

April-Rose9

Joy I am so sorry - I'll be praying for you tonight that you can get some sleep. Hopefully tomorrow the doctor will look at the xray and the report and give you a call telling you to come in and also give you some more pain meds.

Thanks guys -

Oh he doesn't do anything for my pain meds - since I have been seeing a PHYSIATRIST they are the ones that handle my pain meds - so and I'm at the highest level of both morphine and oxycodone that can be taken in a 24 hour period. the morphine is long acting 60 mg taken 4 times daily. oxycodone is immediate release 30mg taken 4 times a day. i've tried to have the pain doc reduce my morphine and increase my oxycodone but they won't do that. the oxycodone is only thing that really helps with the pains.

will let you all know what happens today~~

~~ Joy ~~

zagama responded:
So sorry you are in so much pain and having so much trouble with the report and x-rays.