Skip to content
new member w/sore back
bmurray716 posted:
hey guys and gals,

First time poster. just finished taking a first swag at entering info into my story if you want to check out.

Needing to find a place to reach out and discuss, complain, etc. about my chronic back pain, and hopefully also able to share my experiences with other members to help where I can.

Happy New Year to everyone and looking forward to making your acquaintance.

aprilrose9 responded:
Dear bmurray716,

Welcome as a new member of the support group. You will find many kind, supportive people who have been through a great deal and can give you feedback from their personal medical experiences over the years.

I read what you have tried over the years. Just a reminder, the pain mangement clinics have contracts and will dismiss you if you take any medications which are not prescribed. I realize the temptation when you are in pain, but with their strict rules and random drug testing, it is not worth the risk of having other drugs on board detected in your urine sample.

I wish I had some great info for you, but it does seem you have tried many of the standard medical approaches we have all tried over the years.

I caution people against having surgery "to get my life back". While surgery is something which must be done for some patients, it is not ALWAYS the answer. In my case, it made me much, much worse than before my first surgery. The current PM doc I see, says his practice has 70% patients who were made worse with surgery. This is not to say this may be the answer for you at some point, I simply want to point out there are downsides to surgical intervention. As an engineer, you know what leads to the weakness in steel ect. Unfortunately, our bodies develop scar tissue and once nerves are cut, they do not always heal without problems.

I am sure others will come up with some good ideas for you. My suggestions are to continue with PM, changing medications in a narcotic rotation when it is appropriate, continued physical therapy at home exercises, stretching and finding the correct matress for you. For me, the best matress is a temperpedic style matress which seems to support my spine.

Some people have reported some kind of sling. I think it is called a bubble (?) something, which seems to help stretch out the muscles in their back.

Hope some others come up with some good ideas for you. Good luck.

April-Rose9

bmurray716 replied to aprilrose9's response:
Thank you very much for your kind response. I am looking forward to keeping active in this forum.

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center