Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Radiofrequency ablation
jujulang posted:
Hi all,
I have had lumbar and leg pain for about 4 yrs. Had all the normal testing . I have had MRI, X-Rays, EMG, 3 epidural injections and one nerve block for diagnosis. I have some mild stenosis, 3 bulges, one herniated at the L5, some arthritis. Main pain is in my legs and my feet are cold unless I'm in bed.
Next step is radiofrequency ablation after one more nerve block. I'm wondering if anyone has had this done and if so what your experience and results were?
thanks.

bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group -

yes I did have this done 2 times before I had my first surgery.

Please do research on the procedure and be aware that it may not last as sometimes nerve endings repair themselves. This is what happened to me. I had the first one done and my nerve endings were not affected by it. two weeks later I had it done again with the same results. I believe that my problems were too extent at the time and that the doctors didn't realize it. I had permanent nerve damage in both legs.

Please do research - look it up this way you can ask your doctor questions.

Let us know how you are doing~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

jujulang replied to bj1208's response:
Thank you Joy. I have had an EMG and no nerve damage found. I responded well to the block so I'm hoping for the ablation to work. How long does the actual procedure take? I'm reading anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs. Is that correct?
Did you have nerve damage prior to the ablation?

bj1208 replied to jujulang's response:
HI again -

it took about an hour each time I had it done and yes I had nerve damage prior to these treatments.

My disc blew out in 5/2006 and when it did it splintered where part was on the left nerve root and the other part on the right nerve root. Funny how they want to try treatments first but in the end the surgeon said I was a good candidate for fusion.

My current Pain Doc asked why they waited 2 yrs before doing surgery as my disc was so bad - I told him I was shipped around to different pain clinics, PT's, Surgeons etc and they all wanted to start from scratch on treatments.

Keep us posted how you are doing~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

usmcretwife responded:
I have had four ablations over two years. The first one was a great success. The second one did nothing. The third one created nerve pain that was not previously there and luckily the fourth one reversed that nerve pain. The original pain has not returned although the regeneration of the nerves can be annoying. Sharp shooting pain that lasts only a couple of seconds. Within ten seconds, it is completely gone. It has been one year since my last ablation, and if the pain ever returns to the pre-ablation levels, I would definitely go through it again. The downside is that you will be umcomfortable for several days to a week as the muscles in the area will be sore.

jujulang replied to usmcretwife's response:
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Should I expect to take a few days off from work?

davedsel2 replied to jujulang's response:
Hello.

My wonderful wife had an ablation in February 2013 for a lumbar work-related back injury. She was not working at the time but was glad as she did experience pain from the procedure for a few days. The benefits have lasted 6-8 months and she will be having it done again fairly soon.

I hope that helps and I pray the procedure helps you get the pain relief you need.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Hope for nothing and expect miracles The effects will be somewhere in the middle.

I've had really good results from such treatments in the lumbar region. No guarantees though

T

painloopy responded:
I had this done around my SI joints last year but didn't have any success. From what I've read and heard from others who've had it done - it's very hit or miss. You may get it done once and have success and the next time not so good. I've heard the regeneration can be painful. I'm definitely one who will try anything for pain relief and go in with no big expectations so if it doesn't work I'm not crushed and if it does then I celebrate.
Painloopy

DDD, 2 discectomies L3-L4, L4-L5, ADR L4-L5, spinal stimulator implant, facet and SI joint injections, too many pain meds.

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center